sent survey shows 11 records in repeat, but only 4 are saved in SDE

07-12-2019 04:20 PM
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

When I reopen the survey from the Sent Box (on ipad, v 3.5.164), I can see all 11 sample records in the repeat. But, only the first 4 samples collected actually made it through to the related table in SDE. 

I have only one potential clue, but it's probably a long shot. The "Sample Notes" field in the 5th record contains gibberish (butt dial maybe??). Could that have somehow prevented this record, and the following 6, from being sent through to the database?

I haven't yet tried to resend the survey.

What happened???

Thx, Lynn

17 Replies
LynnBerni

We tried deleting the gibberish text in the Sample Notes field and then resending the survey. Now it's stuck in the outbox and we got the following send error:

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lynn,

By re-sending the survey, did you open from the Sent box to edit the entry?  If the entry is no longer in the database, that would cause the issue you are seeing.  You should be able to resend by creating a copy of the record and re-submitting.

0 Kudos
LynnBerni

Makes sense. Thanks. Can you help us figure out why only 4 of the 11 records in the repeat were saved in the database. Was it the emojis in the notes field?

0 Kudos
JordanMiller4
Occasional Contributor III

What happens if you add this parameter {query allowUpdates=true allowAdds=true} for each repeat in your survey?  

0 Kudos
LynnBerni

Hi James,

To answer your question....yes, we opened the survey from the Sent box. We didn't actually make any edits, just tried to resend. Prior to that, we had not removed anything from the database. Those 4 sample records (the first 4 out of the 11 collected in the repeat) were still in the SDE. We have since copied and resubmitted the entire survey as a new survey (sans emojis!) and all 11 samples went through successfully.

What exactly happened here?  I would very much like to avoid this problem in the future. We could have easily missed the fact that some of the samples were missing in the SDE. And, if the sent survey had been cleared from the ipad, there would be no way to recreate and resubmit the data. 

Also, would Jordan Miller suggestion to add the {query allowUpdates=true allowAdds=true} parameter to the repeat have prevented this problem?

Thanks,

Lynn

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lynn,

Without looking into the database/submission logs for the entire operation (or being able to fully duplicate locally), I can only guess as to what happened- it seems most likely that there was a problem with either submission/storage or deletion of records.  When you opened the entry from the Sent box to edit & resubmit, the record in the database (matched by GlobalId) wasn't present, causing the submission to fail.

0 Kudos
UhullGoGoGoGo
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Survey123 has a data loss problem regarding decimal fields.
This is a very important issue and I don't see that
people in general are aware of or understand the problem.
Once I didn't find another way to call your attention
(as someone who knows deeply how Survey123 works), I'm making this
post at this unrelated topic.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17003-survey123-data-loss-problem-on-decimal-fields

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Guilherme,

Thanks for providing the information the problem you are facing regarding the use of decimal separators.  What type of device are you using to input the numbers?

0 Kudos
UhullGoGoGoGo
New Contributor III

We have a broad base of users. Many use Survey123 on iPad Pro, some on Android smartphones and others on PCs running Windows.

0 Kudos