select one list - bi-annual update required.

02-24-2020 04:45 PM
JayH
by
New Contributor III

Hello all,

What would be the best way to update select one list on annual or bi-annual basis after the survey is published. Can we add the coded values in the feature layer directly? 

For example, the survey is for ecological monitoring. depends on season and time there maybe some changes on species name. my client requests that they want to see common name and scientific names together. so if user select common name, its scientific name need to be auto-populated.

I am not sure how easy it would be to update these lists periodically. 

Any advice?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jay,

You may want to look at https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/12/08/an-alternative-way-to-update-the-media-f... - it shows one approach of updating choices.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What we do is just have one drop down with Species Code 4 spaces Scientific 4 spaces Common name.  That way a user can search for any of the 3 and find it.  

We do not change the list as the year goes on.  Managing all the form updates is not worth it.  You have to republish then get all the users to update.

You cannot just update the domains.  In fact after the first publish domains and the drop down do not stay in sync.  In my opinion this is a major bug and causes us lots of issues.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos