Select to view content in your preferred language

remember login for app

08-11-2017 08:44 AM
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Regular Contributor

I cannot seem to have the Survey123 App (Android) remember my login credentials. There is a time out range (not sure what it is) but I remain idle for x amount of time it logs out and does not remember my credentials. this is also true if I close the app and reopen it. Other ESRI apps do not do this.

This will be a huge drawback for my field crews who are going to use this.

Is feature non-existent at the moment or am I missing something? 

Tags (2)
24 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
BlytheSpendlove2
New Contributor III

Hi, me and my users are experiencing this problem too. After so many minutes Survey123 seems to disconnect from the vpn. I cannot replicate this issue every time, it seems intermittent, but it happens a lot. In particular I have one team that is using some surveys I created and are having troubles with this on a daily basis. They recently updated from the older version of Survey123 that they had to version 3.3.26. They use iPads and fill out long surveys that take a while to complete, and they are claiming that every time they want to submit the survey they get a spinning circle saying “retrieving service information.” It never stops and so they have to exit the app and sign back in to submit their survey. I tried recreating the issue on my device and got a different issue but one that still seemed related to Survey123 and user credentials (through the  vpn) staying in contact. My coworker was able to recreate the client team’s issue the other day, but not yesterday when she tried again. Both me and my coworker were using iPhones though, not iPads though I’m not sure that would make a difference. I am planning on trying out an iPad next week to see if I can replicate the issue more consistently there. I have no idea what I should do next though in terms of troubleshooting this issue. Any ideas?

More comments:

I would tell my users to update to the newest version of S123 again but a coworker making surveys for a different team that is using the most recent version of S123 also was experiencing issues with logging in and staying connected to her account, and even has one user who today couldn’t log in at all, even after about a half hour of us troubleshooting with him, so I’m hesitant to have my users update since currently my users haven’t had issues logging in as much as staying logged in. Don’t want to open another can of problems that are worse than the first. 

I am starting to turn on logs in S123 when I remember but it reverts back to not logging errors every time my credentials disconnect so I don’t have consistent logs yet. Also not sure how to retrieve the logs from my phone. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Ismael ChiviteJames Tedrick

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Blythe,

It sounds as though you are encountering network and VPN issues, and the change in network connectivity between the network and VPN is causing a network challenge or failure which causes the user to become logged out.

Can you give me details around your VPN? Do you use MDM (mobile device management) software on the devices? Do you use a per-App-VPN solution, or just device level VPN? Is the VPN connected before the app is opened?

Also, what devices (make/model/OS version) are you using? Does it happen on all of them, or just some? If so which ones specifically?

What sort of authentication are you using for your Portal? IWA, SAML, PKI, local user accounts?

We made a lot of improvements and changes in 3.5 to fix the user sign out issues on all platforms. We also fixed a lot of high priority and critical bugs in 3.5, so I highly recommend using 3.5 over 3.3. You mention above you are still using 3.3, I would suggest testing with 3.5 on at least one of your devices, and see if the user sign out issue still exists.

Also you can turn on logging on a mobile device inside the App in the Settings -> Diagnostics settings, this will create a log file where you can copy the logs off the device. You will need to turn on logging every time you open the app, if it is in background and not closed fully, then logging will remain on, but if you completely close the app and remove from recent items list in Android or iOS, you need to turn on logging again.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

0 Kudos
BlytheSpendlove2
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, thank you so much for your prompt and thorough response. Can I send the answers to you back via email? My email is bspendlove@semprautilities.com

Thanks,

Blythe

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Blythe,

I have sent you a direct message with my contact details.

Phil.

0 Kudos