"error unpacking" during required update

Jump to solution
08-31-2021 12:49 PM
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

I am having an occasional issue with a Survey I administer, and I was wondering if y'all can help. Lookup files in the media folder of my survey are updated many times a day using a few different scheduled scripts using the approach described by @Anonymous User in this blog post. Also, users are required to update the form after it has been updated. Most days there isn't an issue, but some days users get an "error unpacking" message when trying to update the survey. I am able to manually "fix it" by opening Survey123 Connect and republishing the survey via Connect. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this issue, or how I might address? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JamesKelly4 ,

The unpacking error is is likely caused by the updating of the zip file manually and uploading to AGO, without actually publishing the survey via Connect. Sometimes this can cause issues with the zip file.

Using Linked Content and external CSV files would be a much safer way to manage updating your choice lists on a daily basis.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at doing it the new way?  It was actually just posted about yesterday.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/automate-publishing-of-survey123-project/m-...

It is way easier and does not affect the whole form.  It would prob eliminate this error.  

Also if you are online you can now link it to a service using the new search() way.  That would mean no repub or update needed at all and it would all be live time.  If so check out early adopter or 3.13 comes out any day now.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again @DougBrowning . I am digging into this now as my survey is crashing daily with my current approach. So if I am tracking correctly, the better way would be to publish my csv files on AGOL and link them to my survey in Connect using Linked Content? And if so, how do I then update the files in AGOL? Also, tell me more about this search() way, I am not sure what that is referring to. Thanks so much! I am learning a lot from you and @Anonymous User .

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JamesKelly4,

There are multiple ways you can update the linked content CSV files in AGO, you can do this via manually updating the item (upload a new CSV file over top of old one), using ArcGIS Pro, or setting up automated scripts that get the data from the source location and update the CSV item hosted online. It all depends on your workflow and where the data is coming from. Once the CSV is updated in AGO, the next time the survey is opened and the info page accessed, the CSV will be updated on the device.

As for the search() appearance, this is currently a beta feature in 3.12, but will be fully supported in the upcoming 3.13 release (in a few weeks). You can find the current documentation for search() in the Early Adopter Community, once 3.13 is released, the online Survey123 documentation will be updated.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Philip. Might you be able to share a template python script for updating the csv files in AGOL? Thanks, again!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JamesKelly4,

Unfortunately I do not have a python script template or sample for uploading CSV files to AGO. You may want to reach out to other Esri Community users in the more specific AGO user group, as this is not specifically related to Survey123.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

I haven't. I will look into this. Thank you!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JamesKelly4 ,

The unpacking error is is likely caused by the updating of the zip file manually and uploading to AGO, without actually publishing the survey via Connect. Sometimes this can cause issues with the zip file.

Using Linked Content and external CSV files would be a much safer way to manage updating your choice lists on a daily basis.

Regards,

Phil.