Select to view content in your preferred language

QR Code Reader at Welcome Screen of S123 App for Public Surveys

05-01-2020 06:28 AM
LiamHarrington-Missin
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I couldn't see this idea being posted before but if it has please let me know.  

So I have the following challenge. 

When we publish a public S123 Survey for the field app, they have to download the app and then install the survey.  When the user has an organisational account, they can go to downloads and get the survey from there but in a majority of cases the user is new to the app and their thinking goes like this.

User Behaviour (Path of Least Resistance) 

Download S123 App
Open App << THIS IS THE POINT IT GOES WRONG>>
See that it asks for logon
Try to log on
Get told he hasn't got the right licence 
Thinks its broken,
Asks for help...

What we want the user to do is:
Download S123 App
Point phone at QR Code (or enter short url)
Have the survey install 
Gives 5-star feedback.
Is it/could it be in the roadmap to provide a mechanism at the beginning of the S123 App after first install (before login) that allows the user to either Log into Organisation OR point camera at QR code OR enter short url. 
Does that make sense?
Liam
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Liam Harrington-Missin‌.  Thanks for your suggestion, it makes a lot of sense. We clearly need to streamline the experience for loading public surveys into the Survey123 field app. People get stuck when they open the app and they are presented only with the option to login.   In the meantime, I suggest:

1. Add your suggestion above as an ArcGIS Idea. This will bring more visibility to your suggestion and will allow people to vote it. It will also capture more feedback which can later be used to enhance the software.
  2. In the meantime:
0 Kudos