Publishing Survey Hangs on Creating Form Item

04-29-2019 04:15 AM
ToddFagin
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to publish a survey with a .tpk basemap to our portal. For some reason, it continuously hangs on creating form item and never finishes publishing the survey. This is a copy of a survey I have published before (but had to delete), so I do not know what the problem is.

There are currently no either items in the portal (all content has been cleared).

Screen Capture

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ToddFagin

The screenshot below was taken about an hour of the one above. This is where it has been spinning and spinning.

Screen Capture2

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Todd,

This indicates that an error occurred during the form upload process that was not caught by Survey123 Connect.  There are a few conditions that we are aware of that can cause this, such as a form with a large number of images in the media folder (above 1000).  If possible, could you delete the folder Survey123 Connect created in your ArcGIS account, re-open Survey123 Connect, enable logging (see Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS; turning on logging without selecting a console will save the log to a text file) and republish? 

0 Kudos
ToddFagin

Thank you for your reply. The only thing in the Media folder was the tile cache (single .tpk file--about 780 mb). I removed it and was able to successfully publish the survey. I then manually added the .tpk to the appropriate folder on the device.

If there is something in the log file you specifically need for tracking these issues, I would be glad to publish a similar service with logging enable. However, since I have what I personally need at the moment, this isn't something I need to move forward.

Thanks again.

Todd

0 Kudos
SimonLange
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I had the exact same issue - also with a .tpk file with about 900mb. Thanks Todd for the hint!

James Tedrick‌ can you maybe look into this? Any ideas what the reason might be?

Thanks alot!

Simon

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Simon,

We have seen in some cases issues with publishing - the ArcGIS Online AddItem operation is a synchronous operation; one of the things it does is unzip the form (which is sent as a zip file).  If the zip file has a large number of files, we've seen this operation time out as the unzipping process continues but the network connection has a limited lifespan.  This might be the case in this instance.

0 Kudos