publishing a new survey from an existing survey

Jump to solution
01-03-2024 07:31 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am trying to remember how to publish a new survey from an existing survey from Survey123 Connect. The steps I have got so far are 

Click New Survey -> select Feature Service from XLSForm design -> select feature service -> then Create Survey.

When I open my new survey it still has the existing hosted feature service selected in Linked content and is giving me an error when I go to publish 'if you republish this survey all previously collected data will be lost.'

Isn't Survey123 supposed to automatically generate a new hosted feature service on it's own?

What setting am I not setting to get it to do this without affecting my existing feature service?

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I feel as if you are describing two different things?

1. Create survey from existing feature service will place a new survey on top of an existing service. No new feature layer will be created as it will use the original feature layer. Subsequently, any new additions to the feature layer will need to be made in the Portal or from the original survey. (What you described with the linked content is normal).

abureaux_1-1704296681295.png

2. You can use an existing survey to make a new survey. The two surveys are completely separate. Publishing the new survey will create a new feature layer.

abureaux_2-1704296902339.png

Assuming you did option #1, the thing that doesn't make sense is the "all previously collected data will be lost" part. That shouldn't happen in either case.

Also, just to confirm, but is your Connect app up to date? Current version is 3.19.104.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hopefully an update fixes the issue! If not, let me know and we will try to break down what's happening.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are looking for a new Feature Service to be created, then you don't want to choose the "Feature services" option.

Instead, do one of the following:

• Choose the "Surveys" option and then select the survey you want to base the new one off of.
    abureaux_1-1704307972109.png
  • Or, choose the "File" option and provide an existing XLSX.
    abureaux_2-1704307989218.png

In either case, when you hit publish you will automatically create a new Feature Layer (you don't need to tell it to do anything - the process is automated).

You may need to wait until your Connect is updated though, as you likely are seeing a different screen than I have shown above.

EDIT: Since your Connect is so out of date, you may wish to update your XLSForm once you get the newer Connect. The process is simple: Open the survey > click Tools > and click Update XLSForm template (You can also choose Analyze survey to see if there is anything wrong).

abureaux_3-1704308363620.png

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

You need to enable them. From the S123 Site, go to Organization > Settings:

abureaux_0-1704473503806.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I feel as if you are describing two different things?

1. Create survey from existing feature service will place a new survey on top of an existing service. No new feature layer will be created as it will use the original feature layer. Subsequently, any new additions to the feature layer will need to be made in the Portal or from the original survey. (What you described with the linked content is normal).

abureaux_1-1704296681295.png

2. You can use an existing survey to make a new survey. The two surveys are completely separate. Publishing the new survey will create a new feature layer.

abureaux_2-1704296902339.png

Assuming you did option #1, the thing that doesn't make sense is the "all previously collected data will be lost" part. That shouldn't happen in either case.

Also, just to confirm, but is your Connect app up to date? Current version is 3.19.104.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

That may be part of the problem. I am still using an older version of the app Version 3.12.232

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hopefully an update fixes the issue! If not, let me know and we will try to break down what's happening.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Let me give a brief description of what is going on

The problem I am having is with the linked content. I published the form correctly this morning but it had no feature service attached to it. If I remember correctly, Survey123 automatically generates a new feature service based off the feature service you select from the existing feature services window when you publish a new form to your organizational account. This is where I am stuck. I can't remember where you need to tell it to create a new feature service before publishing it. 

If you could link me to a Youtube video where they show how to do this, that would help. 

Thanks

ETA: I'm still waiting on my IT to update my Survey123 Connect. 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are looking for a new Feature Service to be created, then you don't want to choose the "Feature services" option.

Instead, do one of the following:

• Choose the "Surveys" option and then select the survey you want to base the new one off of.
    abureaux_1-1704307972109.png
  • Or, choose the "File" option and provide an existing XLSX.
    abureaux_2-1704307989218.png

In either case, when you hit publish you will automatically create a new Feature Layer (you don't need to tell it to do anything - the process is automated).

You may need to wait until your Connect is updated though, as you likely are seeing a different screen than I have shown above.

EDIT: Since your Connect is so out of date, you may wish to update your XLSForm once you get the newer Connect. The process is simple: Open the survey > click Tools > and click Update XLSForm template (You can also choose Analyze survey to see if there is anything wrong).

abureaux_3-1704308363620.png

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for your help! I just got the form to upload

SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I just noticed one other question after downloading the latest version of Survey123 Connect. I am not seeing Templates and Surveys under Organization. It is just showing Feature Service. Can you tell me why it doesn't show templates and Surveys?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

You need to enable them. From the S123 Site, go to Organization > Settings:

abureaux_0-1704473503806.png

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Ahh. Thank you. 

Too many settings! 

0 Kudos