Photo orientation

Jump to solution
04-19-2016 07:36 AM
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

I was wondering if there was a way to get the orientation (portrait, landscape) of the photos taken honoured in Survey123. Regardless of me taking photos in portrait mode, they are always saved and uploaded in landscape mode - same as with Collector. (I guess this is because the photo's exif data is ignored.) This could result in a significant amount of extra time by manually rotating the images after they were extracted, not to mention that they are displayed rotated in a webmap too.

Any chance that there is a workaround for this or some improvements in the pipeline to overcome this?

Cheers,

Zoltan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @BamJam,

The field app on a iPhone or small phone factor device only support portrait mode. On larger tablets landscape is also supported. This will not change in near future as is a limitation of the underlying AppStudio framework and the design of the applications currently.

However, when using the camera in Survey123, it is still possible to capture landscape image. Provided that orientation lock is not enabled on the device, when the phone is turned to landscape, the image will be captured in landscape, and added back to the form preview and stored as a landscape image. The control in the camera will still remain in portrait though.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Zoltan. Thanks for your comment. We will be working on this issue.

zkovacs

Hi Ismael. Great, I look forward to getting it fixed in a future release.

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

I am wondering if there has been any progress with this Ismael Chivite‌?

I have just started a new question here, asking the same thing - https://community.esri.com/thread/235494-survey123-image-questions-photos-are-all-rotated-90-degree

Cheers

0 Kudos
TedBrown
New Contributor II

Is there an update to this issue 3 years later?  It's very frustrating.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ted,

We have addressed this in the time since this thread was last updated.  I have responded to Ben in the other thread, which should be less confusing with the older comments.

0 Kudos
MikailaBell
New Contributor III

James Tedrick

Will you please link to the other discussion? For those of us trying to follow the plot, that would really help.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

I have a similar problem/question regarding photo orientation. On our iPhone's, when taking a picture with our screens oriented in landscape, the image on the screen (the preview) is actually showing portrait but taking the picture does capture it in landscape after verifying the attachment. It Is very confusing for the user when it behaves this way. Is this a technical support issue I need to raise up?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jarom,

The Survey123 field app does not support landscape mode on iPhone or other mobile phone devices, only on tablets, such as iPad. Therefore even in camera mode the app will be acting as if it is in portrait mode when the image is taken.

Out of interest, what version of the app are you using? We have made improvements to camera image rotation in the upcoming release of Survey123, version 3.5, so please check it out later this week, or try out the 3.5 RC version available on EAC.

Phil.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

That is good to know Phil. We are currently using version 3.3.64. We will make sure that we upgrade to the newest version 3.5 when it comes out to check out the improvements.