Passing Values from Feature to Fields in Survey123

Jump to solution
04-19-2021 09:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All, 

I have been off the Survey123 Market for a few years and am just starting to get back in. I was wondering if there is better way to pass feature attributes from a feature in a web map into fields in the Survey123 form. 

Previously, I would publish a layer with features to inspect. The inspector would go that feature, click on it and follow a link to the Survey123 form. 

I used the arcgis-survey123://?itemID=**********&field:random_id={***}&field:parentglobalid={GlobalID} etc, etc method in the pop up to pass asset information into the Survey123 form so that the Inspector didn't have to manually enter it. 

Is this still the gold standard or is there something cool and new out there I haven't even heard of yet?

Thanks!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TylerBragg2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Stefani, 

As far as I'm aware, the current "gold standard" for passing parameters from an existing feature to a survey is by using URL parameters, as your example above eludes to.  There is a great blog from Ishmael Chivite regarding this topic here: Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Editing records in a web form. Take special  note of the section entitled "Launching an edit web form from a feature popup."  That may be what you are looking for. He also provides several links to other blogs that explain URL Parameters in great detail.  Hope this helps!  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TylerBragg2

Hi Stefani, 

As far as I'm aware, the current "gold standard" for passing parameters from an existing feature to a survey is by using URL parameters, as your example above eludes to.  There is a great blog from Ishmael Chivite regarding this topic here: Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Editing records in a web form. Take special  note of the section entitled "Launching an edit web form from a feature popup."  That may be what you are looking for. He also provides several links to other blogs that explain URL Parameters in great detail.  Hope this helps!  

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No this is the only way for the 2 apps to "talk".  With security rules only getting tighter I do not think there will ever be a different way.

For me the trick was to create the inspection sites (where to go) and relate that to the form.  I pass my id over to the form so they are all connected.  See this post. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-... 

Hope that helps

TylerBragg2

Also, I'm not sure of your exact needs or workflow, but I created an in depth video about how I built our asset inspection setup.  It's about an hour long, but the first part gives an overview, then I go into more detail in the second part.  You may or may not find this useful in your application.  Here's the link:

Webinar: Conducting, Managing, and Archiving Asset Inspections Using ArcGIS and Integromat