Only me ? Difference between accuracy of the app and a GPS receiver

03-17-2023 01:09 PM
JulieAsselin
New Contributor

Hi, 

I need to know if I'm the only one having this little... inconvenience.

I recently purchased a Bad Elf GPS Pro+ to improve the accuracy of my field data collection.

I have configured all the parameters correctly, when I launch the Survey123 application it detects the receiver well and I receive the data. What bothers me is the fact that there is always a difference between what my receiver gives me as precision data (see attachment - 2.3 meters in that case) and what Survey or my phone receives and shares as information (3.2 meters). On average, this is a difference of 1 meter - 1.5 meters. It might not be much, but I don't understand why.

I tested with two old Android phones (android 9) and my Survey123 app is up to date (version 3.17.66). I tested with Field Maps and same thing. 

So is this normal? Is this a problem possibly related to my Bluetooth connection or just my phone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chip727
New Contributor II

Our group is experiencing similar issues. Did you determine the cause of this?

0 Kudos
Chip727
New Contributor II

Yesterday, I had my group update their Bad Elf firmware, which was released last fall. They're reporting that there's been a slight improvement to the accuracy reading on the Bad Elf vs Field Maps (~10 ft. of difference). We're still trying to determine what is causing this difference in readings between the Field Maps app and Bad Elf unit. Any suggestions would be helpful. Here's the link to the firmware update. https://badelf.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000698434

0 Kudos