offline map layer in Survey123 for ArcGIS does not appear

Jump to solution
07-05-2019 01:17 AM
Tatag_BagusNarendra
New Contributor II

Hello All. I use survey123 for arcgis version3.5.164. I cant get offline map/image/basemap using tpk file appear in the map types in this version when I go offline using survey123 which is possible in the previous version. Is there any limitation for the latest update?

0 Kudos
41 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Luke,

I have been able to reproduce the problem with 3.5. The issue appears to be a bug in 3.5 with the Android 32-bit app version only, and is related to the updated Qt 5.12.1 framework version being used. From my testing all other supported OS versions (Windows, iOS, MacOS and even Android 64-bit) are all working as expected with the same tpk file.

I have created a bug in our system for this issue and we will work on it as priority to fix for the 3.6 release.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MasonBailie
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue. The base maps load just fine (i.e. the imagery that ships with all forms: World Street Map, World Imagery, Etc...) but any customized maps specifically loaded onto the device for offline use will not appear. This is a big problem for us since we need these maps in order to run surveys in the field and are using them as a reference. This was previously working with the files mentioned. In fact, they seem to work with the Connect app for the PC just fine, just not the Survey 123 app for the device in question (Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019). The storage settings will still show the maps as listed in the map library for the app, but despite this, the offline maps will still not appear in the window during collection of data. This is clearly an issue with the app. Please fix ASAP!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mason,

Can you share a copy of the tpk file you are using, and your xlsx form file and survey folder zipped up? How did you create the tpk and how did you load it the device or associate it with the survey?

Phil.

0 Kudos
MasonBailie
New Contributor III

Hi Phillip,

Here is the copy of the tpk file and survey folder as a zip; the xlsx form file should be included in that.

Files - Google Drive 

Please note that the form in question will only display the Geopoint survey question when Side = RT and Zone = 3, this is intentional functionality. I cannot attest specifically to how the .tpk was generated as I was not the one to create it; however, I do know the person who created the file and they followed the instructions outlined in https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm to do so; I will also echo that this file was working before the update. In order to load the file onto the device I plugged the device into a desktop PC and transferred the map file to the '/ArcGIS/My Surveys/Maps' folder on the device (not onto an SD card as this device does not have an SD card installed). I then verified the file was there by checking the settings under the survey 123 app, but still, the geopoint question does not display the desired offline map and even selecting the hamburger menu located at the top right of the screen with the default world map open does not show the map in the folder as an option. I have also tried selecting the same file from the connect app for use under the settings options for the form in an attempt to connect the form to the file, but this also fails to yield results.  

0 Kudos
MasonBailie
New Contributor III

Any updates on this yet? We have surveyors out in the field that are being hindered by this issue. 

0 Kudos
Tatag_BagusNarendra
New Contributor II

Hi Mason,

I use survey123 classic. offline map with tpk format can be used nicely. it appears on the map list.

unfortunately it is only working on Android, not on IOS

Tatag

MasonBailie
New Contributor III

Tatag,

How does that work if I am already using Survey 123 Connect instead of Survey 123 Connect Classic for building my forms? Will I lose data if I try to push any changes to the forms using Survey 123 Connect Classic (changes that would normally wipe out data excluded of course)? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mason,

I am just back in the office after the UC and travels back home. I will be taking a look at this over the next few days and will get back to you.

I would be very careful using Classic, as that version of Survey123 Connect and App is based on the 2.8 release. It is a snapshot of the old version. It does not include any new features, bug fixes or enhancements that have been implemented since the 3.0 release. Using your new surveys with this old version may have other unintended issues due to unsupported features and fixes.

Phil.

0 Kudos
MasonBailie
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

I did find that the new version of survey 123 seems to work for my phone (Android Galaxy S7) after reinstalling the app and then reinstalling the surveys. Unfortunately, the bug still holds true for the tablets we are using out in the field (Android Tab A 2019). The problem is we could not wait for a fix to be implemented to the new app, so at this point Survey 123 Classic was our only option. However, everything seems to be working just fine. I downloaded the Survey 123 Classic Connect app and then downloaded each individual survey and re-saved the forms using Connect Classic. I then re-downloaded each form to the Survey 123 Classic app on each tablet.

One of the other odd things that happened to our forms as a result of the bug on the new version of the application is that we lost our radio button appearance for several fields. They reverted to drop-down menus and no matter how many times I tried I could not get them to appear as radios again, perhaps this was due to changing the name of the appearance property that causes those dropdown boxes to appear as radio buttons or maybe it is just a compatibility issue, but it seems that when we reverted to Survey 123 Classic, this functionality returned.

Our forms are fairly simple and straight forward and I made sure to test one of them by sending an entry to our database to make sure the data reached the server. Everything appears to have worked fine and the offline maps are showing for our geopoint fields.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mason,

Similar to my reply to Tatag above, I tested you tpk file with 3.3, 3.5 and 3.6 beta and it is working as expected in all 3 versions. I am able to load onto the device and go offline, and open the tpk file and view it in the geopoint map widget.

Below is 3.5 release on the left, and 3.6 beta on the right:

Not sure why you are seeing any difference between 3.3 and 3.5, as there is no change. The only change is with 3.6 beta where we have improved the support for map types to include web maps, mmp and vtpk files.

Can you give more details on what make/models and OS versions you are not seeing the tpk file working on?

Phil.

0 Kudos