Multiple issues with survey in updated Survey123 Field app 3.14.237

02-24-2022 02:50 PM
MatthewRogers
New Contributor III

I am having multiple issues with a survey in the updated field app 3.14.237. The survey has been working smoothly for over a year in the former iterations of the field app. I currently have the survey running on two iPhones. One is running the updated field app 3.14.237 and running into issues with the survey, and the other is running the previous version 3.13.246 and having no issues with the survey. 

Problems that that are occurring in the new updated field app 3.14.237:

The app freezes when I try to add an image from my photo stream or files, and I have to swipe out of the survey and exit completely. I am able to access the device camera but I cannot upload from photos or files. 

When entering information into a question that has repeat and a calculation, the input will erase when going forward or backward in the repeat and become completely blank again. This calculation is working off of a pulldata calculation if that has any relevancy. 

Any support is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MatthewRogers ,

Regarding the photo stream/files issue - what device(s) are you experiencing this on? 

Can you share your form with the calculation you are seeing issues with?  What are the inputs to the pulldata calculation - are there scenarios where those inputs may not be relevant?

0 Kudos
MatthewRogers
New Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick,

Thank you for the quick response. 

The phone I'm having issues accessing photo stream/file and issues with the repeat is an iPhone 11. 

I've attached my form and the csv it's pulling from. 

I did notice that in one of my calculations the numbering is off now that the app has been updated. I made this survey before the position(..)  function was implemented. Instead, I used the method once(count(${xxxxx})) to get an index for a repeat. 

So, just for clarification I am also running this same survey on an iphone 10 with the previous version of the field app 3.13.246 and it still runs smoothly.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MatthewRogers ,

Thanks for supplying the form information.  In looking at it, the repeat_count for MP1_Bearings is calculated from a question in a question in an unrelated (not parent) repeat.  That could lead to a lot of unexpected behavior as the number of repeats allowed could change based on navigating the first repeat.  I would strongly recommend that value be placed in the parent table, not in a repeat.  As you mention, you're using the once(count()) workaround to calculate position in a repeat - that should be position(..) .

On the photo loading issue, could I ask you to capture a log file of an attempt to access the photos?  We haven't seen this in our testing, though we have had one other report of similar behavior.  To check, did you authorize access to all images in the account or only a selection of images?

0 Kudos
MatthewRogers
New Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick,

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to figure out some solutions since last we messaged.  

I didn't really understand the solution you offered about the repeat_count for MP1_Bearings because I don't have repeat_count for those repeats. Maybe you could expound on that if you don't mind because it's possible I am just not understanding what you mean or I am misconstruing something.

Nonetheless, I think I have worked out a solution to the issue I was having. I changed the once(count()) workaround as suggested to the position(..) function and I also moved all my statements in the relative column of the repeats to the body::esri:visible column. These changes seemed to have got it back to working as it was previously in earlier versions of the app. 

I am still having issues with the photo loading issue though and just with general glitchiness of the form in the updated app. With the photos I am still experiencing trouble in loading the photos from the camera roll. When I click on the folder to upload photos the form freezes and the camera roll does not show up, however if I swipe up out of the form but do not completely exit out of the app, and then come back to the app the camera roll appears and I will be able to add a photo.

Additionally, I have authorized access to all photos as you and @Anonymous User  have suggested. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it as well and still no luck. I have tried the method=browse and method=camera,browse solution in the body::esri:style column and still running into the same issue. 

Also, there seems to be a general glitchiness with form in the app now where the survey stalls when I click on the forward arrow to go to the next page or skips through the page quickly to the next page when I want to advance just one page. Hope that makes sense. 

I appreciate your help with this! I have attached the new version of the form where I made the corrections as well if you would like to take a look.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
JohnBickmore
New Contributor III

Hi Matt and @JamesTedrick,

Did you sort out the "General glitchiness"?? I have a survey that is doing the same thing. When next page is pressed, it sometimes goes to the next page and sometimes does not. If it does not go to the next page, when you press next page again, it will actually miss the next page and go 2 pages ahead. It seems like it did register the next page press but does not implement it until you press it again and then it does it twice.

I am using 3.18.123 of Connect and 3.18.145 of the field app.

I have am testing on iOS and Android (both 3.18.145) and the page skipping is only happening on iOS. I am in the testing phase for this app, but getting a lot of complaints about this behavior.

Thank you

John 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @MatthewRogers,

For the issue with iOS app and camera roll when using an image question, can you confirm if the access permissions for the Survey123 app are correct and were accepted for all photos when prompted. You can also check this in the Settings app if you scroll to the bottom app list and select Survey123, as below.

Another thing to try is to uninstall the app completely, and reinstall from the App Store, this will ask the access permissions questions again, and be sure to select all photos and allow camera and location while using. It could be possible when updating app in place (over the top) there is issues with permissions to the gallery and files app.

PhilipWilson_0-1645776961607.png

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MatthewRogers
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for your suggestion with this. I appreciate your assistance.

I am still having issues with the photo loading from the camera roll. Please see my response to @JamesTedrick where I explain what is going on now. I have made sure that I have on all photos in my settings. I also tried the uninstall-reinstall solution you mentioned but that didn't work. As I mentioned in my response to James Tedrick I discovered I could get to the cameral roll in a roundabout way by swiping up out of the form but not completely exiting and then coming back to the form and the camera roll would be up and I could add a photo. It's weird and not ideal but I guess it works. I should also say that when I test it in Survey123 connect I am able to reach the files and upload a photo from my computer without a problem.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Matt

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @MatthewRogers,

We are not seeing this same issue on our iOS devices that we use for testing, across different models and iOS versions. Are you able to record a screen recording of the behavior, so we can get a better understanding of exactly what is happening?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
MatthewRogers
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User ,

I have embedded a screen recording of what is occurring on my end. I have also attached the a screenshot of my Survey123 settings in case you see something I am not seeing that needs to be done. 

Thanks for taking a look!

Matt

0 Kudos