media::audio files not working properly

Jump to solution
12-23-2020 02:35 AM
ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

I've made a survey with some bird calls in as audio files to help people with their identification, but I'm having issues with the files playing.  In Connect only one of the .mp3s will play (although both have the speaker icon next to them).  Both tracks play on an Android device, but when I open the survey on my iPhone neither work - unless I use my wireless headphones and then they both play fine.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?  I'm using the latest versions of the mobile app and Connect.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I am guessing this is not really an issue with your Survey123 design, but an issue with an incompatibility of your audio file with your device or simply a configuration of your device. Here are the the usual things you will need to look at:

1. XLSForm: Make sure the file name you specify in the media XLSForm column matches exactly the name of the file you copied into the media folder. iOS is case sensitive!  It looks like you got this right, since you were able to play the file in your iOS when you plug your headphones.
  2. Codecs: It could be that your audio file codec is not compatible with your device. I typically create audio files with TechSmith Camtasia using either the mp3, m4a or wav file formats. All of them work fine in iOS.  There are other tools out there to create audio files. It also seems like you got your file correct.
  3. Device speaker configuration: Make sure your phone is not in silent mode!  Check this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208353  I bet this is it! 🙂

In Survey123 Connect we include a sample design under the Community group called Cardenal Amarillo Sightings. It includes audio files of Yellow Cardinal Gubernatrix cristata. You may want to give this a go to make sure you have all configured properly in your device.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I am guessing this is not really an issue with your Survey123 design, but an issue with an incompatibility of your audio file with your device or simply a configuration of your device. Here are the the usual things you will need to look at:

1. XLSForm: Make sure the file name you specify in the media XLSForm column matches exactly the name of the file you copied into the media folder. iOS is case sensitive!  It looks like you got this right, since you were able to play the file in your iOS when you plug your headphones.
  2. Codecs: It could be that your audio file codec is not compatible with your device. I typically create audio files with TechSmith Camtasia using either the mp3, m4a or wav file formats. All of them work fine in iOS.  There are other tools out there to create audio files. It also seems like you got your file correct.
  3. Device speaker configuration: Make sure your phone is not in silent mode!  Check this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208353  I bet this is it! 🙂

In Survey123 Connect we include a sample design under the Community group called Cardenal Amarillo Sightings. It includes audio files of Yellow Cardinal Gubernatrix cristata. You may want to give this a go to make sure you have all configured properly in your device.

ColinCampbell1
New Contributor III

Thanks loads @IsmaelChivite.  I think it was the codecs - I managed to fix them by opening them in Audacity and re-saving them as a new mp3 (I'd been sent the files by someone else and I've no idea how they were originally made).

Once I'd fixed them I did also briefly fall foul to my phone being on silent - so you manged to fix my problem twice!

0 Kudos