manually entered geopoint location not saved

08-24-2017 07:00 AM
JamesProctor1
New Contributor II

As suggested here (which we have successfully used in past), the Survey123 GeoPoint field allows manual entry via clicking the map, then clicking the lat/long values at bottom, then entering correct lat/long values, then clicking the checkbox at right.

We followed this procedure, however, last week in a teacher institute (using latest Survey123 for iOS, v2.3.29?), and the manual values we entered were not saved, i.e., when the record was submitted the manually entered lat/long was replaced by a value on the map—sometimes a wildly inaccurate value.

I am trying to determine whether (a) this manual geopoint procedure still works, and (b) what the workflow should be to make sure it works correctly. We typically do these surveys with K-12 students, and some of our data locations are known with relatively high accuracy we wish to maintain, thus we'd like to make it work again via some relatively straightforward method.

Many thanks,

Jim Proctor

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jim,

I can confirm there is currently no known issues with manually entering coordinates in the geopoint question and submitting/storing values in the feature service. I just tested this workflow with the iOS and Android field app and both working as expected, the newly created features are displaying on the map in the manually entered location.

Are you ale to confirm if this is happening on more than one device by more than one user? Or is it related to just one device and one user? Does it happen on every new survey submitted with that device or just sometimes?

Is it possible they are touching the map view after entering the coordinates and moving the marker pin before selecting the tick button to save the location, in this case it will save the coordinates the marker pin has been moved to. Alternatively is it possible they are pressing the GPS location button back on the geopoint question after updating manually?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JamesProctor1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your helpful reply. The issue existed with multiple (iOS) devices, so my best guess was that it is a workflow glitch: indeed, users must either be touching the map after manually entering coordinates, or (less likely) touching the GPS button. I'm pretty sure I tried it myself, however, and I definitely did not do either, thus my original query.

I will attempt to retest on my end and see if I can reproduce the issue with a new dummy survey.

Regards,

Jim P.

0 Kudos
JamesProctor1
New Contributor II

Okay, I have tested again via a new survey and all seems to work correctly.

One workflow item I'll emphasize to users is to click the checkbox *twice*, first the one immediately to the right of the lat/long manual entry fields, then at the bottom right of the readjusted map in the next screen. After this second click, one is returned to the Survey123 form with the correct location.

Regards,

Jim P.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

Yes, you need to select the first tick to save the manually entered coordinates entered into the two boxes, and then you need to select the tick/accept button in bottom right hand corner to save the new location (which will be updated and displayed on map after updating the coordinates.

From the sounds of it, the users may not have been selecting the second tick/accept button in bottom right hand corner and therefore the location will be saved as the current GPS location.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos