Locking a Survey in the Outbox

01-15-2019 06:29 AM
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

My state agency is really interested in using Survey123 as a tool for collecting information from hunters when they take a deer. One of their requirements is to "lock" any submitted surveys onto the device (most likely a phone). These surveys would serve as a verification should the hunter be approached by our Law Enforcement (they may operate in areas with no cell coverage). Presently, any submitted surveys can be accessed at a later time and edited; hunters will exploit this to take more deer than they are allotted. I could delete the survey after submission, but then there isn't a record of submission on the device for verification. Is there any way to lock the submitted surveys, either presently or in future development? Is this an option should we bring the Survey123 code into AppStudio and customize?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Chris Anderson

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

There are a couple of possibilities that might work, depending on the situation:

- If this is being done by pre-creating a record and using the Inbox, you could make certain questions read-only; this would prevent editing

- An AppStudio modification might work, though we are planning to make it a less onerous task in the future.

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson

James,

I want to follow up regarding this. If we download the code into App Studio, we can change the "editability" of a submitted record in the Outbox and Sent Box? Is that correct?

Chris

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Chris,

Yes, you would essentially be creating a custom version of Survey123, where you can change the behavior of just about anything, including what actions people can do from the Sent/Outbox.  You would then need to publish this custom app to the App Stores and ask people to use that instead of Survey123.

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson

James,

I’m sorry for the basic nature of this question. If we modify the source code for S123, do we go ahead and program the questions as well? Or do we have the “new” S123 access the survey from ArcGIS Online?

Chris

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Chris,

No worries.  A custom version of Survey123 can still use the existing forms in ArcGIS Online, unless you specifically do something to prevent that.

0 Kudos