location of feature service point incorrect

03-06-2018 08:19 AM
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

I do not have a geopoint question in my survey (management did not want it).

However I did set the default location (in the Map Settings in Survey123 Connect) to desired coordinates... sometimes the point features in the service are at the appropriate location sometimes they are off the coast of Africa.... (I am located in Florida, USA) and sometimes they are at different locations (close to the default but a mile or so away)

Why are some of the points being placed there and some are not, and how can I fix this? should I force the geopoint question? I figured by adding the default coordinates if a location could not be established via networktivity the default location would be used?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

The default location setting in Connect is used to set the default location of the geopoint map and inbox map (map extent and zoom settings). It is not used to set the default x,y of the actual geopoint question and geometry submitted to a feature service.

Even when you have not added a geopoint question to your survey, a geometry will be collected and submitted as it is a required attribute of a feature service. If location services are disabled, device in offline mode or no valid location is available, the device will return 0,0 and therefore the geometry will be saved as 0,0 which is off the coast of Africa.

If a location is obtained by the device and passed to the app (via wifi, gps, 3g etc), the geopoint question will be updated with the device location and the geometry saved representing the location where the survey was taken. This will happen whether you have or do not have a geopoint question in your survey. By displaying the geopoint question it allows the user to modify it.

Is there a reason why you do not want to collect the location of where the survey was taken, and use the same location for all surveys?

Phil.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

I do want to collect the location where the survey was taken, but there are about 45% of the points located off the coast of west Africa, I know for a fact my cemetery foreman was not burying someone way over there so I am trying to figure out why these points are appearing there, especially since there is no option for the users to drop their own points.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It sounds like the device did not have a valid location before the survey was submitted, therefore it was recorded as 0,0. Is it possible that wifi, 3g, gps were all turned off or device was set to flight mode?

Having the geopoint question visible, set as required and even using a location accuracy threshold when mean the user must ensure they have a valid location before submitting the survey.

Phil.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

Yah they may have been in an area with little to no  service also... I wanted the geo point question visible to make it easier to map locations but admin said no 😕

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

go figure... lets use a GIS app but turn off the spatial reference capabilities