Linked Content Web Maps Not Showing in Field App

10-27-2020 06:30 PM
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello

I have linked two Web Maps to my survey using Survey123 Connect's Linked Content tab to be used for a geopoint question. When I click on the Map tab and look at the Preview and Detailed Map I am able to see both maps in the basemap gallery and have set one as the default. When I preview the geopoint question in Connect I am able to select between the two linked web maps, however I do not see any other of the ESRI default basemaps. My biggest issue is when I test the survey on my mobile phone, using the field app, the geopoint question only has default ESRI basemaps and not the maps that I linked. I am online when I test the field app and my map settings are switched to Standard. I am also not signed into my ArcGIS Online account as this survey will be distributed to volunteers, many of whom do not have AGOL accounts. I want to test it as they would see and experience it to make sure it all works. I will also be creating offline maps, but that is a step removed from the online maps working.

Maybe there is something that I need to adjust on the maps in ArcGIS Online?

Thanks

12 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

Please make sure:

• You are running version 3.11 or newer of the Survey123 field app in your device
  • Your web maps, as well as all layers used in your web map, are shared publicly.

When you get to configuring your offline maps:

• If you link your offline maps, end users will need to download the maps manually from your survey
  • Alternatively, you can copy your offline maps to the media folder of your survey (and publish it) and they will be automatically downloaded along with your survey
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Garrett,

Were you able to get a resolution to this issue? Just came across your post while researching something similar for another Survey123 project.

In the Survey123 Connect map preview, does the basemap option display the same behaviour that you are seeing within the mobile app?
Are you able to open the survey within the Survey123 web designer, go to the 'Settings' tab and enable 'Always use the latest version' - then test again?

0 Kudos
DanteLee
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Glen,

Do you have any other troubleshooting tips for this? The linked web map shows up on the browser, but not the mobile app nor in Survey123 Connect map preview. The survey isn't public, but I've made the web map public along with the layers in the web map.

• Survey123 Connect 3.12.232
  • Survey123 App (iOS) 3.12.277

Edit: I think I nailed it down to a layer view I was using in the map. Not sure why it would've caused an issue, but I've replaced it and the web map loads as expected in both the web and the app

GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi @DanteLee , sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

So there seemed to be some sort of permissions issue on a view layer preventing your from seeing a linked content web map in your basemaps for the geopoint question??
Are the users of your survey able to work with it as expected?

0 Kudos
DanteLee
Occasional Contributor II

No worries. The view layer sharing was set to public, and the map was viewable in incognito browsing (not logged in) but not in Connect or the field app, so I'm not sure what was going on. I ended up using the parent hosted feature layer since it's a private survey

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Has this been resolved for your use-case Garrett?
I think you would need to make the web maps (and any content therein) shared with everyone if the survey is going to be consumed by the public, who will use the basemap switcher to access this linked content.

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a similar issue with trying to make my webmap available offline. I created the relevant map areas via the settings tab of my webmap in AGOL and linked the content in Connect. But when I open in the field app and try to download the offline map there are no maps available. 

Reading above it seems like a sharing issue? I just need to share it with everyone and it should work? It's a private map, so I could create an uneditable view layer and then redo the webmap/map areas?

Where we work loses power and/or internet a handful of times a year, hence the need for offline maps. I was simply loading a .tpk file into the maps folder before, but the file was very large and our computers very slow. Is there a better way than linked webmaps? 

How do I create a map package from a web map to put into the media folder?

Any help would be much appreciated!

RyanE

0 Kudos
ryanEvanczyk
Occasional Contributor

I figured out the issue I was having, and was able to download my offline maps. However, the line layer that I created does not show on the offline map - only the basemap. I enabled sync on the hosted feature layer for the line layer and that didn't work. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

RyanE

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi @ryanEvanczyk ,

Sounds like there's a fair few factors in play here.
First of all; have you enabled 'Standard' Map settings on the mobile app?
Survey123 mobile app > Profile > Settings > Map > Map types = 'Standard'
If we've added the web map to the survey's linked content via ArcGIS Survey123 Connect, then this should enable us to see the pre-configured offline areas in the basemap switcher...

Was the feature layer added after the offline areas were created? We may need to update the offline areas from the web portal side.

What else can you tell me about the web map in question? 

• Esri Basemap or your own published tile layers?
  • What editing settings are enabled on the feature layer?
  • Are there other feature layers present that work?
  • If you open the web map in the ArcGIS Field Maps web application and go to the 'Offline' tab, are there any errors next to your feature layer?