Issue with displaying repeats as pages

10-18-2019 12:06 AM
DamianMilne
New Contributor II

Dear ESRI Community

I am trying to build an application with nested repeats and display the repeats as pages. The issue I am having is that when I run my application, the first page is fine however subsequent pages are always blank. I have attached a simple example. Can anyone assist please?

Regards, Damian

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Damian,

Nested repeats or groups cannot be pages.  The 'field-list' does not work like a page break, but rather 'everything within this geoup/repeat is 1 page', which includes any nested groups or repeats.

0 Kudos
DamianMilne
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response James. Is there any alternative way that you can think of to achieve the same or similar functionality that I am after, i.e. entering the parent record on the first page and entering the child (i.e. related) records on the second page?

Regards, Damian

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Wrap the repeat in a group and give that group field-list.  

0 Kudos
DamianMilne
New Contributor II

Thanks Doug, I tried wrapping my nested repeats in various grouping configurations, all without success. Is it possible you could show me a basic example?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean you want the first repeat on the page 1 and the nested on page 2?  I do not think you can do that as the repeat wrapper would not make any sense then.  I do see it blanking out like you said.  Not sure what you are trying to do.  

I did see you using field-list for the repeat but I do not think that works.  Only groups use that I think.

I do have a form with a nested repeat and pages but in mine the first repeat bar and header is on every single page.  It can look a little weird that way but it does help keep track on where the user is.

Maybe you can have 1 form per station?

Sorry I could not help more.

0 Kudos
DamianMilne
New Contributor II

That is exactly what I want to do - the first repeat on page 1 and the nested repeat on page 2. And you can use field-list on repeats, see here (scroll to bottom, last paragraph).

The application I'm working on actually requires 3 nested repeats. The biggest issue I have is that with 3 nested repeats you end up with 3 record navigation controls at the bottom of the of the Survey123 form (see screen grab below). Any more than two record navigators becomes too confusing for the user. If I could turn each nested repeat into a separate page it would avoid this issue. Yes I could create a separate survey for each individual station/site and have 2 nested repeats however this is not ideal.Multiple record navigators

The only other option I can think of is to have customised text for the record navigators, e.g. "Site 1 of 1", "Trap 1 of 1", "Capture 1 of 1" however there doesn't appear to be any option to do this either.

Regards, Damian

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have the same issue in mine even with 2.  Repeats were added then pages and they do not work together perfectly yet.

One idea I am trying is to have a header and footer in the top repeat like this (2 screen shots to fit).  Notice I do have repeats with pages but the main repeat is on every page for it to work.  (Also wish I could remove the double stations sections but cannot due to using a grid and a repeat.)  Also wish I could make the A red not just the field name.  Note my A is like your 1 of 1 that you mentioned - you can do that just count the repeat.

The other thing you can try is colors to surround each repeat.

Border color in blue

or background color in grey

It seems to help a bit.  Most of my new forms have grids though and then colors do not work.

I think being able to display text in the repeat bar would help.

Hope that helps.

DamianMilne
New Contributor II

Thanks Doug, in lieu ESRI addressing the issue, they are a couple of good options.

Cheers, Damian 

0 Kudos