Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to improve how my Survey looks on mobie phones?

Jump to solution
12-08-2023 09:09 AM
JepchumbaKoech
New Contributor II

Hi, I created a survey using the XLSX form and customized fonts, header sizes, etc. When the survey is viewed on computers it looks great. When it's opened on mobile link, the fonts are changed, the survey answers include the html formatting, etc.. Is there a way to improve this experience without telling people to download the app?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Definitely sounds like it's designed in Connect and viewed in Connect/Field App, but intended for web browsers. Assuming that's the case, @JepchumbaKoech will lose a lot of options (beyond the "modern" HTML tags stuff I linked above).

As @ChristopherCounsell pointed out, the key in this case is awareness/vigilance while designing. Once you know how surveys look in web vs. Field App/Connect, it gets easier. Honestly, I do all my browser-based forms in Connect and it works out fine, but only because I'm already past that initial shock phase.

I would love it if Esri removed the web designer entirely and put a toggle into Connect so there was a single interface for all projects. Would cut down on confusion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

Are you using Survey123 Connect to design your survey, the Survey123 website, in ArcGIS Online, etc? ESRI's working to make apps in general adapt to display on either pc or mobile screens, but not sure if they have or can with Survey123 yet. The layout could be very different, and you may need to design a separate survey for mobile from the same layer.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Agree, we need more information on this. Mobile app or web browsers? XLSforms and examples of the issues?

It sounds like the user is using unsupported html. The thing with unsupported means that it'll work sometimes, but not always, so best to stick to what they've recommended.

Also best to design and test the survey in the intended context. If it's web-form and you're using connect, you have to be more vigilant.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Definitely sounds like it's designed in Connect and viewed in Connect/Field App, but intended for web browsers. Assuming that's the case, @JepchumbaKoech will lose a lot of options (beyond the "modern" HTML tags stuff I linked above).

As @ChristopherCounsell pointed out, the key in this case is awareness/vigilance while designing. Once you know how surveys look in web vs. Field App/Connect, it gets easier. Honestly, I do all my browser-based forms in Connect and it works out fine, but only because I'm already past that initial shock phase.

I would love it if Esri removed the web designer entirely and put a toggle into Connect so there was a single interface for all projects. Would cut down on confusion.

JepchumbaKoech
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I designed the survey in Connect to add features that weren't possible via the survey123 website. The survey is intended for web browsers, but my admins wanted to know if we could share the survey for people to use on their phones without downloading the Connect/Field app.  My survey looks normal on computers so I guess I'll just stick with that. 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Beyond what's here, not really.

0 Kudos