Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it better to create a large complicated survey or multiple small focused surveys

01-19-2024 01:44 PM
TimothyKing2
New Contributor III

I have a tendency to push the envelope with 123 and I create large surveys that cover a lot of topics so I can have access to all of the data I want in one feature service, Does anyone have an opinion on this?  I am currently creating a survey that covers public forms including planning and zoning, council meetings and water/waste water requests.  The form is working great but I want to use the data in a dashboard and I think I need to create separate view layers and add them to the dashboard so I can have more control over the output.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I do both, personally.

For example, I have digitized our entire H&S program, resulting in numerous focused forms. Now, there is a desire to combine some of those smaller forms into our Project Hazard Assessment (a larger central form). In this case, both options are valid.

I find it's usually a trade off between a better user-experience experience vs better development pipeline.

In the end though, it comes down to the content for the forms in question and how closely they tie together. I handle each request on a case-by-case basis and go from there.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Same I do both.  Most of mine are actually big and we have several.  One big reason we split it is we have 3-5 person crews and with multiple forms they can run more than one tablet at a time.

I use relationship classes to a central main point.  My process is laid out in here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-...

Hope that helps