Is HEIF image support planned for Survey123?

Jump to solution
01-10-2018 06:50 AM
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF, often pronounced heef) is a new image format used by the Apple iPhone X and iPhone 8, running iOS 11. Is support of these files planned by Esri in survey forms?

I recently tested a known working form on an iPhone X with some an image attachment field. For some reason, every time I submit the form, it would fail. After some troubleshooting it dawned on me the the new image file format on iPhone X might be to blame.

Apple provides an option to switch to JPG in the device settings. After toggling the format to "Most Compatible," my form submitted successfully.

To isolate testing errors, I made a new form for testing this issue. I had the iOS setting for format set to "High Efficiency" for both tests. Here are the results:

1. Two images taken with the Survey123 in app camera - Success (a surprise)
  2. One image taken with native iOS camera set to HEIF format and attached to the form using the photo library attachment in the form - Fail see below

Attaching a photo that I know to be taken in HEIF caused this error:

heif error screenshot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elliott,

Thanks for identifying this issue.  We are working on getting support for HEIF into Survey123 (and other AppStudio applications); for now, as you point out, we recommend switching the default format for capture to be JPEG (Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elliott,

Thanks for identifying this issue.  We are working on getting support for HEIF into Survey123 (and other AppStudio applications); for now, as you point out, we recommend switching the default format for capture to be JPEG (Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible)

LUKIP
by
New Contributor

Hi any update on when the HEIF format to be supported in Survey123?

0 Kudos