Select to view content in your preferred language

how to identify problematic survey123 field

Jump to solution
06-14-2023 07:01 AM
DionysiosKerasidis1
New Contributor III

Hi guys

i have created a form in survey123 which was successfully published and used to capture data. Ever since the form has changed for some reason and now re publishing the survey will cause all records to be deleted.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/updating-field-types-in-existing-survey123-surve...

i have found this guidance, however i do NOT know which field is causing the problem.

How do i identify the field that has caused this? is there a way i can find the form that originally published the survey? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DionysiosKerasidis1 , did you publish the form online or through Survey123 Connect? If you published it through Connect, I would make a backup of the form (xlsx file) that you have locally stored (I usually move the whole folder to a different location where I keep all my forms that I am not currently working on) and download the form as it was published. If it is very complex it might be a bit tiresome to visually check for differences. If you are not aware of any changes that were made I would keep the downloaded version for future edits.

I usually start by comparing the schema in Survey123 and the one of the layer in ArcGIS Online. It might be that you didn't specify a field type before and now changed it to being a number for example. That would cause this type of error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Not sure if I get your question right. When you sign in into your ArcGIS Online account in Survey123 Connect you see all the surveys that were published together with the ones you designed maybe in Connect but did not publish. If the online version differs from your local version it should show an update button or if you don't have it locally then you see the download button. When I see the update option but I am not aware that any updates were made, I usually move the folder with that survey into a new location, reload the page and the download the survey to make sure that I am working on the latest version.

survey123.JPG

Does this answer your question?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DionysiosKerasidis1 , did you publish the form online or through Survey123 Connect? If you published it through Connect, I would make a backup of the form (xlsx file) that you have locally stored (I usually move the whole folder to a different location where I keep all my forms that I am not currently working on) and download the form as it was published. If it is very complex it might be a bit tiresome to visually check for differences. If you are not aware of any changes that were made I would keep the downloaded version for future edits.

I usually start by comparing the schema in Survey123 and the one of the layer in ArcGIS Online. It might be that you didn't specify a field type before and now changed it to being a number for example. That would cause this type of error.

0 Kudos
DionysiosKerasidis1
New Contributor III

Hi Nicole 

the below has resolved my issue, i was very naïve not to think of this. The entire work was done in survey123 Connect

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-warning-this-survey-has-already-been-published-t...

One thing i would like to ask you is how to you download the form from AGOL? i dont seem to have an option to download the form itself. I can open it but its still linked to the one saved locally. 

DionysiosKerasidis1_0-1686753016499.png

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Not sure if I get your question right. When you sign in into your ArcGIS Online account in Survey123 Connect you see all the surveys that were published together with the ones you designed maybe in Connect but did not publish. If the online version differs from your local version it should show an update button or if you don't have it locally then you see the download button. When I see the update option but I am not aware that any updates were made, I usually move the folder with that survey into a new location, reload the page and the download the survey to make sure that I am working on the latest version.

survey123.JPG

Does this answer your question?

0 Kudos