Select to view content in your preferred language

how to add image files for the choices options in a select_multiple question

Jump to solution
07-02-2018 10:23 AM
IreneEgbulefu1
New Contributor III

I am creating a survey for my users to look at 4 optional routes  and provide their choices with comments.

The survey choice answers should have an image attached  to it (a .png map of each route option).

I have seen something similar to what I want on You-tube but all my efforts to configure my survey to achieve that has yielded no positive result. The video was very brief and did not display the excel sheet configurations used to achieve the displayed result.

Here is the link for that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Sh31BFXN8

Please I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DataOfficer
Regular Contributor

Hi Zhifang,

I had images attached to my choices in Survey123 Connect. These functioned correctly in Connect and the field apps (desktop and mobile), but not when viewed on the web app.

The images are stored in the media folder with no gaps in their names (e.g. greensnake.PNG).

I have reproduced the issue in an attached XLSForm. The same test form can be viewed online here: https://arcg.is/14Oiqr. As you can see, none of the images associated to the choices are displayed in the web form.

Edit: There is an additional issue, in that by trying to show images with choices in the web form, the choices that are dependent upon the previous question (cascading select) only display as the names, not the labels (recently discussed in Esri Case #02535889).

Kind regards,
Rob

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DataOfficer ,

Thanks for sharing the XLSForm file, this helps us to confirm the issue.

By looking into it, it turns out that it is the minimal and autocomplete appearances lead to images missing for choices, this is a known limitation currently logged as BUG-000112788. If this is important to you, please raise defect to Esri Support Service to prioritize it.

Choice images should work for other appearances in the web app, no matter if it is a cascading select.

Thanks,

Zhifang

0 Kudos
FRSadmin
New Contributor III

Hello Zhifang,

I am reading this many years later and I think what I am hoping for is slightly different.

Is there a way to add images / audio to an online web survey (i.e. one that can be viewed through the survey123 app) as either a memo for the surveyors to reference or as a supplement to a survey question that has the multiple choice format?

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @FRSadmin ,

Yes, the latest version of Survey123 web app can now display image/audio media files in select_one or select_multiple questions as a reference for submitters. Please see the doc topic mentioned by James in the original solution post.

In addition, you can also create a sample survey that includes images/audios in choices from the "Media" sample survey in Survey123 Connect. Although this sample survey only includes select_one question, you can easily duplicate the behavior to a select_multiple question.

FYI, you may find the user experience in the web app for this case is not perfect, please feel free to add your voice to ENH-000142112 via Esri Support Service to help prioritize the enhancement.

Thanks,

Zhifang