Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you display Choice List values with spaces in ArcMap?

09-28-2016 03:55 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So on a Choice list you can not have spaces (which is a bummer really).  Spaces go in the label.  But I thought the label did get saved into coded values so that you could use the spaces version later on.  I swear I had this working before but I can not get the formatted with spaces version to show in ArcMap at all.  I want it to show on a layout page.

How can I do this?  

Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am fine with all those entries.  Because what is my alternative - Never have spaces in a pick list ever?  That would be weird.

Is the no spaces thing a XLS rule?  Seems strange to have to worry about spaces in 2016.  This may seem small but it makes the form look terrible and may kill our project.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcMap are you using?  The toolbox was made with 10.4.  I just downloaded the repo from GitHub and can see the tool.  You can also recreate the tool from the Python Script, AFAIK, it requires 10.3 as a minimum from the GP tools it uses.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep that was it I was in 10.2.2.

What does Destination Workspace and Destination Prefix want?  There is no help on the field and Workspace will not take a FC inside a .sde connection.  Does it mean Workspace is the root .sde and Prefix is the FC? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Destination Workspace - the workspace where the tables will be imported to; if an enterprise geodatabase it's the .sde file

Destination Prefix - to try to ensure uniqueness in names (not running over anything already in the database since the script creates the tables in the destination workspace), I'm requiring a prefix text that will be put before the names of the tables; i.e. if your Survey has a table named 'VehicleReport', and you use the prefix 'FDsurvey', the name in the destination workspace will be 'FDsurvey_VehicleReport'. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Getting an error.  It makes nothing in the sde DB.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

I'm not sure why you're not getting the resultUrl in the intermediate requests- it has always shown up in the job info I see.  I've updated the github repo to test for that property before assignment and also display the export sync messages to see if that provides more info.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I get a better error now.  I can send you all the inputs but I do not want to post it.  Can i send it privately?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Yes, please e-mail me to continue the discussion.

0 Kudos