Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting Altitude (meters) in Web designer

Tuesday
AndrewCastilloTBSL
Esri Contributor

When I have a map input and a single line text input, I can extract data from the map to place in the line text like latitude and longitude. but when I try to use Altitude (meters) it just gives me NaN

AndrewCastilloTBSL_0-1720584674453.png

AndrewCastilloTBSL_1-1720584744391.png

I'm using Survey123 Web Designer, is there a way to calculate the altitude or will I have to use Survey123 Connect?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Clicking manually on the map clears the Z value.

Using the GPS position fills in the Z position... assuming your device has a Z position.

EDIT: When I say "using the GPS position..." I mean press the "GPS" button (see below)

abureaux_0-1720633299635.png

Here is an example from my desktop:

Z is empty because my desktop doesn't collect that.

abureaux_3-1720633146399.png

Here is an example from my phone:

There is a Z value because the phone can read that.

abureaux_2-1720633126009.png

On my phone, where Z is collected, if I move the map marker manually, Z is cleared (no screen cap because it would just be a blank space).

0 Kudos
AndrewCastilloTBSL
Esri Contributor

Well, I tried it on my phone but it doesn't say anything either maybe the mobile device I have doesn't have z values built into it, I appreciate your answer.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Elevation should be standard on all mobile devices with GPS.

How are you collecting the point?

For example, this geopoint question is set to "click to locate", meaning you click the "GPS button" to collect a location. Clicking that "GPS button" will collect Z data.

abureaux_0-1720710544906.png

Alternatively, clicking that "Map button" will take you into a map where you can specify a location. That will not collect Z data.

When you go into the map and move it, you lose Z data. Here is an example of where I moved the map and lost Z data. While in this map, clicking the "GPS button" will restore Z data.

abureaux_2-1720710777091.png

Here is an example from within the map where I have Z data. Notice the "dark" blue circle indicating error (laptop - error is huge). The error circle is dark, like the below image, when you are using GPS position, and becomes fainter (like the above image) when you are not using GPS position.

abureaux_3-1720710843403.png

Hopefully that makes sense.

0 Kudos