geopoint, offline basemap required?

03-22-2019 10:29 AM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

A geopoint question is inside a repeat. We don't need a basemap displayed, we just need to record our xy position several times in a survey. I.e. we don't want to hassle with creating a tile package, side-loading, ect...

The survey is downloaded and the offline iOS device is connected to an EOS Arrow-100 GPS Receiver. Collector is working fine, high accuracy positions are confirmed working. The field crew then follows a link on a Collector popup to launch the survey123 form with the repeated geopoint. The geopoint question just says "No Location". The crosshair locate button just spins. As expected, the geopoint map says "offline map preview not available" because we never side loaded a tile package, ect..

We have also specified the EOS Arrow-100 in the survey123 location provider settings, the geopoint question still says "No Location". Same result if we switch to Integrated Receiver, "no Location". The iOS settings give permission for survey123 to use location services, checked that a few times.

Any help would be appreciated.

1) Does offline survey123 require some type of basemap for geopoint questions?

2) Are survey123 and Collector fighting over the GPS metadata stream?

thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan,

No, Survey123 geopoint questions don’t require a basemap at all in order to capture a position. When your device is offiline and no basemap is loaded onto the device, you should see the message “Offline map preview not available”, but also your location coordinates with an estimate of the horizontal accuracy.

Collector and Survey123 don’t compete for the position information, and I have successfully followed your workflow on an iPhone 8 using integrated GPS and also an EOS Arrow Gold receiver.

Do you get the same issue when you launch the directly from Survey123, rather than from within Collector? Also, try tapping on the satellite icon to confirm that the app has a valid location. If you’d like to send me your xls form I can help troubleshoot further.

Brett

0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

After testing further, the problem seems to be survey123 disconnecting from the EOS Arrow-100 receiver after a period of time.

Our field workflow includes counting small plants in plots along a transect. So, the field crew starts a new survey123 form at the beginning of the transect and adds 20 or 30 plots along the transect; each plot is a new repeat record.

Whenever they stop to flag or count plants (sometimes takes 20 minutes of longer), the iPad goes into standby and looses bluetooth connection with the Arrow-100. It seems like survey123 is having issues re-connecting while in the middle of a survey form, it lacks the "GPS"  ^ shaped button that Collector has on the map screen.

Anyone experience re-connect issues like this before?

0 Kudos