File uploads in Survey123 Connect form building

05-20-2019 02:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to include a field in a Connect built survey that would allow for a file upload???? I need this field so an user can go back into the survey after it is completed and organizational reports and processes have been finalized and add PDF documents into the feature layer so these documents are all in one location with the initial data collection. It is possible to do this in the website survey builder and I understand that the XSL format may not be able to handle this. It would just be convenient for both survey building styles to include the same capabilities. I am trying to use Connect for all my surveys, but some of the minor differences are becoming a nuisance. 

7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

File upload is supported only in the web form.  If you want a survey authored in Connect to have a file upload question, you would add a question of type 'file' (this is not in the default list; either accept the warning message, as you do for a select_one or select_multiple question, or add 'file' to the question types in the 'types' worksheet to add it to the list).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not certain how this helps. I added 'file' to my XLS and it acts as a note with no way to attach a file. There are too many differences between the Connect and the Web builders that I am going to have to sacrifice some features depending on which path I choose to take.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James,

Sorry,.this is still so new to me and experiencing some frustrations. I Got some additional help from a colleague, as I was not seeing the whole picture and they included this extra tidbit. 

Now I just need to figure out how to add this document to the feature layer point after the survey has been submitted, so it can be viewed by a Non-GIS savvy person within the Survey123 website. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does this mean the ability to upload any file type is coming?  I could really use the ability to attach csv files.

When I try a file question I just get a note also.

thanks

0 Kudos
PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Hi Doug Browning,

The file question will show up as a note in Survey123 and Survey123 Connect. However, if you publish anyway and open the survey in a web browser, you will see the result as shown below, with the ability to upload a file. You can enforce opening the survey in a web browser by configuring the url as mentioned in the post above from Doug Parent

The file question is just not supported in the Survey123 or Survey123 Connect Apps

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

I just wanted to add one more tidbit. In my frustration looking for an answer to this issue I was having, I was looking for a complex resolution and failed to open my eyes to the simple resolution. I discovered, with a little help, that adding an attachment to the end of the survey data was as easy as going to the feature layer in AGOL and opening the popup on the desired point and then clicking on edit. This then allowed me to add the needed attachment, PDF file in my case, so it could be viewed in the Survey123 website at the end of the survey data. 

I had to go this route to add the attachment as editing a Connect built survey is not currently available from the Survey123 website.

My main objective was to attach an asset management created work order to the survey for my supervisor to gain easy access to the file along with the survey data to complete their Notice of Violation report. 

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry I should have been more clear.  I am looking to upload csv files form an iPad.  I had already tested using AGOL map in a web browser on the iPad, but it figures it out and blocks csv files.

I really do not understand the blocking part when all the pieces are there.  

If anyone figures it out please let me know.

0 Kudos