External Choice List not Updating when Survey123 Opened from Field Maps

Jump to solution
07-05-2021 11:35 AM
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm setting up a couple surveys that are going to reference employee lists saved as CSVs hosted in ArcGIS Online. As I'm testing this I noticed a problem when it comes to them being updated in our workflow though.

Our workflow involves the user selecting a feature on a web map in the Field Maps app, and opening the survey from a link in the pop up. In this process it doesn't seem to check for changes to the linked CSV as it does when you open the survey directly in the Survey123 app.

As @Anonymous User outlined in another post I read:
"When using the field app, when the user navigates past the survey info page, before doing a new Collect, Inbox or open a Drafts survey etc, a check is done and newer csv files downloaded. This does not happen in Connect for the author creating the survey, as there is no such navigation or page."

Is this check missed then because the link from Field Maps opens the survey form directly?

Am I missing a setting or a parameter in my URL that could make sure it checks for the updated CSV? Or has this just been overlooked?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RobertAnderson3,

What you are seeing is currently expected when using the URL scheme to launch Survey123 from Field Maps or any other app. As this workflow skips the survey info page, the linked content will not be automatically updated. You would need to manually open the survey first, go to info page, ensure linked content is updated, before launching from Field Maps.

We are looking at enhancing the URL scheme workflow in near future to improve this check for linked content and some other outstanding URL scheme issues.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RobertAnderson3,

What you are seeing is currently expected when using the URL scheme to launch Survey123 from Field Maps or any other app. As this workflow skips the survey info page, the linked content will not be automatically updated. You would need to manually open the survey first, go to info page, ensure linked content is updated, before launching from Field Maps.

We are looking at enhancing the URL scheme workflow in near future to improve this check for linked content and some other outstanding URL scheme issues.

Regards,

Phil.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for confirming this is the way it works currently.

Is there a rough timeline on this enhancement? Next update? Or is there anyway to encourage this be prioritized?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Also today I came across an interesting behaviour with the autocomplete appearance for select_one questions. It's allowing text responses that don't match the choice list to be submitted? It highlights in red indicating it's wrong but still allows the user to submit, is this intended?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RobertAnderson3,

We do not currently have a fixed timeline for the enhancement to linked content to update automatically when using URL scheme. It is unlikely to be in the next release, but could possibly be ready by the release after the next.

The best way to encourage this be prioritized is to log an issue with Esri Support, so that an offical enhancement is created.

As for your other issue, can you provide your xlsx file and any media files (csv, pulldata, external choice lists etc) that the survey is using. Can you also share some screenshots of the issue, in both the autocomplete input box and dropdown. What version of Connect and field app are you using?

Regards,

Phil.

vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

Survey123 app Updating CSV contents dynamically when we open the Survey Form in the app/ But Web form is not updated the list as expected. We have to go to Survey123 Connect and manually do download CSV and Publish it again, then only web form is updated with latest CSV. Please suggest what we need to do ?

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Has there ever been any updates to the URL scheme to fix this issue with linked content not being updated?