Download gdb in different language

10-23-2018 01:58 PM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I created a survey (actually 2) that are defined to be used with two different languages. The enumerators will do the surveys in our local Rwandan language while the consultants approved the survey in English and will also analyse the data preferably in English, the report will also be done in English. Is there a way to visualize the results in survey123 in a different language than the default and to download the gdb maybe even with the different language?

If both is not possible, what would you suggest would be the best practise to enable the consultants to understand the questions and the answers?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nicole,

I would recommend you set teh bind:Esri:fieldAlias values with the language you want to review the questions in - that will set that as the default for the website and fGDB download.  This can be separate from the default language of the survey.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James, Thanks, I will try that after the pilot today!

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

What about the answers?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The answers will be stored however they were entered; text will be stored as recorded into the question.  Single choice values will use the default language when creating the domain; you would need to revise the domain labels in the Feature Layer after publishing.  I've logged an enhancement idea for an equivalent column to bind::esri:fieldAlias for choices.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the enhancement idea. Optimum would be to have the choice while viewing and downloading the data which language you want to use. I could imagine that there are other projects out there where stakeholders prefer different languages to analyze their data. That's also one reason why we prefer to use select_one questions instead of free text fields. 

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I created a survey in English, and had Khmer (for Cambodia) characters appended to the questions.

Then I saw the multiple language support example and added a new column for labels in Khmer....even when the default is English, and I also put english in the column called 'label' as well as label:: English (en) for the questions and the choices, my answers are in Khmer! or a mix. What gives? Fixing every alias and choice after the fact is a lot of work..

https://panda.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=bff73c66accd49abb88eaf66d023aa36#data 

How can I create the field alias and answers in only english? Khmer characters are not supported everywhere...

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aurelie, 

did you try setting the bind:Esri:fieldAlias names with the English Alias?

It might be that you have to create a new survey for changing the settings and upload it as a new survey. I think that was the case for me if I remember correctly. 

I find it strange that some fields are shown in English and some in Khmer. Would you mind sharing the xls-file?

AurelieShapiro

Here is the excel file - I am playing around the label; label::English (en) and label:: Khmer. and default language. I am fine with the default language as khmer because that is who will be collecting - but the GIS data should be in english!

I will look at ESRI Bind, it seems like it might do what I need for the column names, though I still want to know how to ensure that the data in the table are only in english? For example, gender should be only male, female etc...and not a mix of english and khmer?

I guess I will have to delete and re-upload the survey again anyway...

thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro

Also, when I set Khmer as the default language, then the language option disappears in the survey...no option to go back to english!

0 Kudos