Does Survey123 Connect support use of existing feature services not created by Survey123 Connect?

04-19-2017 08:58 AM
ChrisMowry
New Contributor II

I am attempting to create a form in Survey123 Connect from an existing feature service from ArcGIS Online, but am getting a Feature Service Error (code: 498 Invalid Token). The Feature Service is added by a URL from ArcGIS Server. Does Connect currently support using existing feature services not created by Survey123? Is there some other issue that may be creating this error?

Thanks!!

Chris

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chris.  This article may be of help for you How To: Create Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys that connect to non-federated ArcGIS Server services 

Note at this moment, Survey123 Connect is designed to work only with Hosted Feature Services (From ArcGIS Online or from ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal). ArcGIS Server Federated and non-Federated services do not work. The article above describes a workaround to get things going with non-Federated services, like in your case.  In upcoming updates we want to add support for Federated Services.

ChrisMowry
New Contributor II

Thanks Ismael! I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
ChrisMowry
New Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

My apologies for the lag in incorporating the lag in testing the work around in the link you provided, but for some reason, I'm still getting the same error "

Here is the form settings:

Authentication:

We are using ArcGIS Online and not Portal.

I have checked the inputs to the fields and they match exactly.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

To work with an existing service, there are some additional configuration steps:

1) The service must be secured (right now your showing the security setup of the server, not the individual service - in the Server Manager that is displayed as a lock icon in the service entry)

2) The service must then be registered with your ArcGIS Online or Portal account - when registering you will be prompted to sign in to your server.  Choose the option to Store Credentials.

3) You should see that the item created doesn't refer directly to your server's URL; instead, it's a proxy service that is attached to ArcGIS Online/Portal.  This is the URL to use when creating a feature service (it's just easier to use the 'Add New > Feature Service' option at this point than manually copying the URL over.

More instructions can be viewed at Survey123 help: connect to non-federated ArcGIS Server services

ChrisMowry
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response James! 

1) I believe I have the service secure.

2)I believe I have the service registered with ArcGIS Online. (I was prompted with login credentials , but the option to store the credentials never appeared)

3) I'm not sure if I'm grabbing the correct URL. Is it this one on the same page as the previous image?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Is your server accessible from the internet?  The reason you would not be getting the 'Store Credentials' option is if ArcGIS Online cannot reach the server - the workflow I described above essentially puts ArcGIS Online between the users and your server, so it needs to be able to submit data to it.

0 Kudos
ChrisMowry
New Contributor II

I believe so. We are able to write to features using the Collector App.

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III

After following those instructions on connecting non-federated services to Survey123 and re-reading and checking a few times I still cannot get the Survey123 Dashboard to work completely.   Will data downloads ever work, or will that only work with hosted services. What about analysis?  Sometimes it partially works.

Are there any further tips on publishing services for S123 consumption?   The data schema was originally constructed by a hosted survey.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Peter,

You are talking about the Survey123 website, correct?  In that case, the data downloads action is taking advantage of specific capabilities exposed by the hosted services capabilities; it may or may not be possible to support that depending on the service's settings (in particular, the Sync capability may give the ability to create at least a file geodatabase download, though not currently).  For the other analysis capabilities, we're in the process of making the Survey123 website analysis tools more robust.