Distinguishing between records and participants - Survey123 Web

Jump to solution
06-14-2022 02:10 PM
oliviaran_22
New Contributor

I'm creating a story map to summarize our city's newest planning initiative. Because it contains four sections/concepts, we want to embed a survey question (from Survey123 web-version) after each section. I can embed a specific question and have the user submit question by question. I've tested it with 2 different users (3 responses total), and the overview page shows 2 participants, 3 records (shown in screen shot below). This is great but none of the records/spreadsheets I generate from the data and analyze pages will help me match records to a participant - global IDs are different, no creator (survey is anonymous). Given that we want to break the survey up, I need for folks to be able to answer section by section while linking those responses back to a single, anonymous participant. I know this must be possible given what the overview page displays. I've dug through old posts, but I cannot find anything to help as Survey123 does not generate IP addresses and GUID is not available on the web version. 

Thank you!

surveytest.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @oliviaran_22

Doug has a great suggestion unfortunately Device ID isn't currently supported in the web. This isn't a perfect solution but the userAgent property may be the best option for now until Device ID is supported. The user agent string should be a unique string per device that can then be used to filter responses based on respondent. This isn't perfect as user agent strings can be changed. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Probably DeviceID.  You can pull it yourself into forms also see here https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/prepopulateanswers.htm 

ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @oliviaran_22

Doug has a great suggestion unfortunately Device ID isn't currently supported in the web. This isn't a perfect solution but the userAgent property may be the best option for now until Device ID is supported. The user agent string should be a unique string per device that can then be used to filter responses based on respondent. This isn't perfect as user agent strings can be changed. 

Thank you,
Zach
oliviaran_22
New Contributor

This works! Thank you, Zach! I so appreciate it 🙂

0 Kudos