Did something change with grid layouts?

Jump to solution
03-18-2022 02:40 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I've used grid layouts in surveys before, and I thought I understood how they worked...not that complicated of a concept. But today I was trying to start a new survey and none of the grid settings were working. For instance, if I set a group to have appearance w6, and then the next two questions to have appearance of w3, (so that only those two questions would be on a single line), it doesn't change anything and the entire group still shows 6 questions per line.

I even opened the sample Grid Layouts survey, and when I look at the preview in Survey123 Connect it looks extremely "wonky".

Katherine_Clark_0-1647639408574.pngKatherine_Clark_1-1647639498151.png

This is what the preview looks like.

Katherine_Clark_2-1647639521572.png

This is the XLS form it's based on, provided by Esri.

What's going on?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

May be you are running an old version of Connect? This is what I see:

IsmaelChivite_0-1647641254596.png

Also, if working with old forms, please check the style values in the XLSForm settings spreadsheet.  Theme-grid is supported for backwards compatibility, but it is recommended to use either the fixed-grid or dynamic-grid styles.

IsmaelChivite_1-1647641406174.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

May be you are running an old version of Connect? This is what I see:

IsmaelChivite_0-1647641254596.png

Also, if working with old forms, please check the style values in the XLSForm settings spreadsheet.  Theme-grid is supported for backwards compatibility, but it is recommended to use either the fixed-grid or dynamic-grid styles.

IsmaelChivite_1-1647641406174.png

LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

This has me worried also.  Is there a blog or training material on the difference between the new types of grid layout.  How will selecting a new grid layout affect previous forms - forms that look good in v3.13 and 3.14 for example with the theme-grid option?

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Ismael. I updated my version of Connect to the latest version (3.14) and the grids appear to be working. Not sure why it would have stopped working in a previous version though, because it used to work...

I admit I was a bit "scared" to upgrade, as I've heard about so many issues after upgrading to 3.14. But, fingers crossed things will be fine since it's been a while now since the new version release. 

Thanks!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
LeonardBarnhill
Occasional Contributor

I am glad to here it worked for some but I upgraded to v3.14.261 today and still do not have the new grid options.  Is there a newer version?  I am opening a form created in 3.13 that was set to theme-grid.  I am having the same "challenges" identified in the original post - appearance values in XLSForm are not reflected in the Survey123 form preview.

0 Kudos