Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Comments or custom new field in XLS form?

Jump to solution
02-22-2023 06:46 AM
PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

Hello

I'm looking for a way to either "comment out" questions in S123 Connect, or somehow add a completely new 'Comments' or 'Notes' field so that I can add notes for my own use about what isn't working for a question, or something to check, etc. ....basically similar to comments in code.  Right now I have a separate spreadsheet but it would help very much if I could have the 'comment' in the same row as the question that I'm having trouble with, or that I need to fix in some way.

If I add a new, custom text field to the XLSForm, on the Survey Tab, in Connect, will it break my survey, or cause some issue, in the future?  I tested by adding a Comment column to a test survey and all seems to be working, but I'd like to know for sure if possible.   And if it is recommended or not. Alternatively, is there another way to add comments w/o adding a new field?  Is it "safer" to add a new tab?

I've found a few similar items, e.g.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/can-i-comment-out-a-line-in-survey123-conne...   

or for XLSForms, (not Connect specifically)

https://forum.getodk.org/t/how-can-i-track-comments-in-an-xlsform/32329

I'm using  Connect 3.16.110, Windows 10.  Screenshot of example attached

Thank you for any input.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I usually add as many columns as I need and have not had issues. I have some forms 3-4 years old with added columns for notes/changelog/etc. - all still working fine throughout many updates.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

I usually add as many columns as I need and have not had issues. I have some forms 3-4 years old with added columns for notes/changelog/etc. - all still working fine throughout many updates.

PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

Great news

Thank you!

0 Kudos