Consistent Crashing of Survey123

10-14-2016 02:55 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

We have been using an iPad third-generation tablet device with IOS 9.3.1 to fill out our surveys that we have created. Consistently between the hours of 2 PM and 3 PM of the day, Survey123 app crashes. Most of the time, we are filling in the survey at this time and we lose everything that we have collected. Upon running Survey123 again to start over, we get this error message that reads:

Unable to perform user search. 'q' parameter must be specified.

An image has been attached as well. The real question is, is this a device issue or an app issue. We also have another user that is using his phone and has experienced the app crashing as well. We are unaware about what time though it does crash whether this is at all relevant or not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Crash error

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

By 'app crashing', you are referring to Survey123 presenting the image attached? We have this issue logged.  To confirm that behavior is the same as what we've already seen, can you answer a couple of questions:  

1) You say that this occurs between 2 & 3 o'clock; what time of day do you start work / sign in (i.e., how long has the device been signed in)?  

2) Is this occurring after coming back from a disconnected environment/airplane mode

JaromHlebasko

Thank you for getting back with me. The answers to your questions are below:

1) We will typically start signing into Survey123 in the morning between 7 AM and 9 AM. I would imagine the app is up and running for 6+ hours before it crashes.

2) In a sense, yes we are working in a disconnected environment. Our cell service is spotty at best where we are performing our survey so the first thing we do in the morning is we log into the app and the user goes to the list of surveys to download and clicks on the cloud refresh button for the survey that has already been downloaded to the device to make sure it is the most recent. The user will then start collecting on that particular Survey and save it to Drafts. They take the device out to the area where they are performing their Survey with spotty cell service and open up to drafts survey that was saved to fill out that survey form. This particular collection entry is being used the entire 6+ hours so we have created a workflow to where we save it to drafts every so often so we don't lose our changes. When the app crashes, they start the Survey123 app and that is where you see the error screen. They login and open up to drafts survey that was saved to complete the work. Once the work has been completed, they get back to the office to use the WiFi and submit the survey.

Is this the same bug you have logged? Is there anything we can do with our workflow to help with this issue?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In reading though the your description, this is occurring after the application actually does crash and you've re-opened the application?  I didn't quite catch that i the first read-through.  The issue with the q parameter does sound like the issue we have already logged.  The application crashing is different.  Is it possible to share the form, or provide an estimate of the amount of data collected in a day (number of repeats, fields, photos)?  Feel free to DM me via GeoNet or e-mail me if necessary.

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko

Yes, the issue is occurring after the application has crashed. When we go ahead and run the app again on our device, we get the screenshot that I provided. I would be happy to share the form with you but I'm not sure how to do it privately..  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
KeithHastings
New Contributor III

Hi James, is there an update on the 'q parameter' issue? We have just spent a day collecting data offline. Now that we are back in the office we have connected to our office WiFi, and are getting the same error message when I try to sign in and send my data records to AGOL.

Using an iPad 4 on iOS 9.3.5.

Is there a workaround to get our data off the iPad if we can't find a way to send it to AGOL.

Cheers

Keith

0 Kudos
MitchellProctor
Occasional Contributor II

Keith,

Yes, there is a way to recover your data in the event you can't send it. Refer to this help page: Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
KeithHastings
New Contributor III

Thanks Mitchell, I have actually managed to connect properly today and send my records through. I don't know what is different, apart from a little time perhaps to clear things out.

Here is a little more info if it is helpful:

The day before the fieldwork I had been testing while connected via WiFi. I was signed in the whole time, although most of the time when I went to send the data through to AGOL I would get an 'invalid taken' error and I would have to sign out, then sign back in, and the send would go through successfully every time. I assumed that this was something to do with a timeout but don't really know any better.

I would have been left signed in to AGOL on the Survey123 app on the iPad when it was taken offline and used in the field. Later that day after the fieldwork was completed I could not send the data once I was reconnected to our WiFi, and kept getting the 'q parameter' error. Signing out and back in had no effect.

The following morning I tried again, and it worked first time.

Cheers

Keith

0 Kudos