Connect Not Recognizing Copied Surveys

09-28-2018 02:49 PM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

When I create a new survey from an existing one in Connect it does not show up in the list of forms. If I try to create it again I get the message that the name has to be unique. By opening the file manager I can see that the folder has been created and populated. When I right click on the xml and try to launch it with Connect, Connect launches, but not the form. I have uninstalled/installed Connect, deleted the installation folder, rebooted the machine after each of these actions, cleared all the Survey123-related Windows credentials to no avail. Now when I launch Connect I get no forms until I sign in. Then I get the forms for that user. If I sign out after that I will see more forms, but still not the ones I have created. Stuck!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

To clarify, by reviewing the contents of the newly-created survey folder, it appears that all components are there.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bob,

In the newly-created folder, is there a .iteminfo file?  If so, can you delete (or move it out of the folder) and see if that causes the survey to appear?

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

In my flailing around I found that there were 2 json files in the AppStudio/Settings folder. When I deleted these, restarted, etc the missing forms showed up. It happened again, but I seem to have resolved it by cleaning a lot of old forms out. Related to this, I could use a brief primer on how the form folders relate to the feature services and uploads to my Portal account. I you can link me to something that would be great. Specific questions:

1. I am not sure how the folders that look like feature service URLs relate to my forms. See screen shot below.

a. The *26cc folder is in 2 places and both appear to be copies of Headbox 2018. And in My Survey Designs in the Connect interface, the Headbox 2018 form is presented twice.

b. The *192c folder appears to be the result of my attempt to download a form I had published, but was no longer on my computer. The download hung up and I had to close Connect, and the folder is empty.

2. When I delete a published form completely in my Portal account, then try to republished it with the submission_url setting, it messages me that it is updating the form with the new url, but just hangs up and never finishes.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Bob,

When you create a form sing Survey123 Connect, that is stored in the 'My Survey Designs' folder with the name you gave it (with some substitutions for special characters).  When a survey is downloaded from your account, it will be in a folder in that is named based on the item GUID of the form.  The same occurs for Survey123 field app, which downloads into the 'My Surveys' folder.

The publishing hang sounds like a there is an uncaught error during the publishing process - can you record a log of this?

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Thanks James. How do I record a log of the publishing process?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Form the Survey123 Connect Survey Gallery, click the gear icon in the lower left.  Click on Diagnostics, and enable logging (you can ignore the console search in the bottom portion of the Diagnostics screen).  Click Okay, and then attempt the publishing.  After it hangs, you can retrieve the log file at C:\Users\<username>AppStudio\logs .

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

OK. Below are the notification windows I got when I tried to publish it, and attached is the log file. Recall that this survey did exist in my Portal account, but I deleted it a couple of days ago so I could start from scratch. The Publishing window took about a minute to get to the full process bar, then hung there until I x’d out of it about 3 minutes later.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Bob,

The reason publishing is failing is that Survey123 Connect is attempting to publish to the folder that has since been deleted.  Deleting the .iteminfo file in the survey will allow publishing of the form again as a new survey.

0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

That corrected it James. Thanks much!

0 Kudos