Choice “Name” Field Values Stored With Spaces

09-20-2018 12:28 PM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

I have a Survey123 form with a “select_one Contents” question.  The Contents options listed in the Choices tab of the survey form are shown, below.  The Contents choices are sometimes two or three words and best practices indicate that values in the “name” field of choices cannot or should not contain spaces (so I used underscores instead of spaces).

When surveys are submitted by field users, the answers are shown in the Survey123 web page using the “label” values, thus showing the spaces.  When the survey is downloaded as a MS-Excel spreadsheet, the values in the Contents field display with the underscores where spaces should be.

What magic can I perform in my survey XLSForm to get multi-word answers to be stored in the database with spaces between the words?  Example: I would like to see survey answer = “Diesel_Fuel” stored as “Diesel Fuel”.

ChoicesList

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

This is expected with data export - the value in the database is the 'name' value; it uses an ArcGIS domain to display the label in other applications.

0 Kudos