Capturing location several times in Survey123 form

Jump to solution
10-28-2019 08:29 AM
YuliaMamonova
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Tina JinJames Tedrick

Could you please help me figure out what is the best way to capture location when the form is first created and then submitted?

I found several approaches in geonet:

1) Repeats

2) Multiple geopoints set as null

3) Pictures when they start the survey and then right before submitting

For myself I chose the second approach, but it doesn't work as expected. Please check out my xslx form attached.

Thank you,

Yulia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the Start and End types.

Tracking surveys—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

0 Kudos
YuliaMamonova

Hi Doug,

It doesn't provide info on how to capture location twice in the survey (when it was created and then when it was submitted).

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No just the date and time. 

Surveys are point feature classes so they can only have one GPS location. 

Options

as James said - store a lat/long in a text field

Create a repeat - which creates another Feature class - and have a start and end in the repeat.  It will not be automatic however.  For me I have text that says - move to the start of the line, then later in my form I have text saying move to the end of the line.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
YuliaMamonova

Doug,

Thank you. What you say all makes sense to me. I will try this workflow tomorrow.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Yulia,

There is not a method to capture both starting location and ending location automatically.  In your form, both geopoint questions are set to readonly, which means that they will both only get the starting location.  The pulldata() function used to extract x/y is incorrect - you only need "x" and "y" as the parameter name (this is not a reverse geocode task - reverse geocode specifically deal with the translation from a location to a text location like a street address).

0 Kudos
YuliaMamonova

Thanks James,

So there is no workaround on this?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Yulia,

With regard to capturing the end geopoint automatically, there is not a solution at this time.

0 Kudos
YuliaMamonova

Thank you, I will try Doug's workflow, it should work for my needs.

0 Kudos
RobertGeitner
New Contributor III

Hi James.  Seeing as you can capture geopoints in repeats now, is there anyway I can set it that as soon as you select a repeat, it will automatically capture your XY location without having to open up the map and drop a pin? When I have a geopoint question in my repeat, it is great because it saves it in the metadata, I just didn't want to have my users actually have to open up the map to drop a pin. 

0 Kudos