Cannot not edit/add map library folder

Jump to solution
04-15-2021 07:12 PM
KendellRyan1
New Contributor

According to this documentation, in the section about using a map package from external storage, I should be able to go into Settings --> Map, and then add/edit the folder for the Map Library. However when I go there, it seems to only be read only. I'm on IOS and I cannot browse or type or anything in the space.  It just shows the default path (~/ArcGIS/My Surveys/Maps).  I am trying to add a path to a folder where the package is already stored (for Explorer) so that I can use it for offline.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philip-Wilson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi @KendellRyan1,

This is the expected behaviour on both iOS and Android, the Map Library folder path input box is read only and can not be changed due to OS level restrictions. Both of these OS's do not allow accessing files from another apps data folders or common data folders on the device for security reasons. For iOS, this has always been the case, for Android, it is a security enhancement they introduced earlier this year, and now affects Survey123 3.12 and above.

If you want to use an offline map package on iOS and Android, you will need to manually copy the file to the designated Map Library folder. This can be done via the Files app on iOS, or File browser on Android, or if connected to a computer, via the appropriate software such as Finder, iTunes or Windows Explorer that allow you to navigate the folder and files on the connected device.

Please refer to this section in the documentation: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2AE91E3...

If you are using Windows, macOS or Linux, you can still access map packages from any folder or external SD card or drive, as the same security restrictions do not apply on these devices.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Philip-Wilson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi @KendellRyan1,

This is the expected behaviour on both iOS and Android, the Map Library folder path input box is read only and can not be changed due to OS level restrictions. Both of these OS's do not allow accessing files from another apps data folders or common data folders on the device for security reasons. For iOS, this has always been the case, for Android, it is a security enhancement they introduced earlier this year, and now affects Survey123 3.12 and above.

If you want to use an offline map package on iOS and Android, you will need to manually copy the file to the designated Map Library folder. This can be done via the Files app on iOS, or File browser on Android, or if connected to a computer, via the appropriate software such as Finder, iTunes or Windows Explorer that allow you to navigate the folder and files on the connected device.

Please refer to this section in the documentation: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2AE91E3...

If you are using Windows, macOS or Linux, you can still access map packages from any folder or external SD card or drive, as the same security restrictions do not apply on these devices.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post