cannot add a default to a value to a list where you can select one

Jump to solution
01-04-2022 09:34 AM
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Hello, 

Can anyone help me out...I have a list of values in my Survey where you can only pick one response. What I would like to do is have a default value populate if that question is skipped. Basically I would like to have a "None or N/A" as a default response to that question. I have added that to the default question in the survey, but it did not work. I am not using data from an outside source or a csv or anything...just my Excel form from Survey123. This is all kind of new to me. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. These are some snap shots of what my data looks like. (see attached)

thanks

Larisa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm, I have never used that particular workflow of linking the surveys like that. Is that question in both surveys? If so, maybe the options from the choice list have to be identical?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm, I've done this many times in surveys myself and haven't had an issue. What version of Survey123 Connect are you authoring this survey with?

Also, I think having it in the default cell without quotes should be correct, but have you tried putting it in quotes to see if that changes it?

Also, what appearance do you have for each of the select_one questions?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

HI Katherine, 

thank you for getting back to me. I am using version 3.12.232. I think this issue could be due to the fact that this survey is an "authoritative survey", that is, if I change the results in this one it changes results in another. I am using this survey to edit another....from what I have read and done before...this should not be an issue. However, I have not done this exact thing before. 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm, I have never used that particular workflow of linking the surveys like that. Is that question in both surveys? If so, maybe the options from the choice list have to be identical?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

yes the question is in both surveys, but hidden in the "customer" survey. one that customer survey has been completed, I can access the "authoritative survey" and answer the two questions . and you might be right...I need to match it in both surveys. I did not think about that. I will try that. 

0 Kudos
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Katherine.... thank you, that was the issue. I had to add the default value to the original customer survey...even though it was hidden. I just figured that hidden meant just that. silly thing for me to overlook, but thank you for making me think a little more!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Wonderful, glad it's working now! 🙂

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos