Can you calculate the zoom level of the map for a response to a geopoint question?

08-01-2019 06:33 AM
ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to calculate the zoom level of the map when a location is manually selected by a user?

We've had some users of a survey entering poor quality locations and our suspicion is that they're manually selecting the location on the map at an inappropriate zoom level (i.e. they're zoomed out too far to be selecting an accurate location from the map).  If we could record what zoom level they were at when manually locating on the map we could identify if this was indeed the case (or whether there was another source of the poor quality records).  Ideally we would also then be able to add a constraint that meant they could only manually select a location when zoomed in to within a certain range.

Is any of that possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Colin,

At the moment, there is not a method to extract the zoom level for which the geopoint was captured at, however, I wanted to suggest the following workflow to see if it might satisfy your requirements. 

By setting the geopoint question to 'read-only' in the XLSForm, it will prevent the person submitting the survey from interacting with the geopoint question at all.  I would imagine this might be preferable if your suspicion is that they are manually selecting the location within the map control.

Another suggestion would be to set the accuracy threshold within the survey, and/or use location qulaity expressions to set warnings when a particular accuracy value is not met or prevent in the case that the accuracy is severely off.  More on this here...

Geopoints—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

In the meantime, please feel free to share your use case of utilizing the zoom level as a paramater in a calculation within the ArcGIS Ideas site, where we can get a sense of other workflows where this capability would be helpful.

Best,

Brandon

ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brandon,

That's really helpful, thank you.

For our examples we can't really make the geopoint read-only as there will often be instances where people need to manually select the location as it's some distance from their GPS location (e.g. they observe a bird at a distance).  We will include the accuracy threshold/location quality expressions as these do help greatly when people are using the GPS for their location.

As suggested I will log it as an idea and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Col

0 Kudos