Can Viewer type in Portal collect field data?

Jump to solution
08-03-2020 08:11 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I used Survey123 Connect to create a survey and publish it to a group in our Portal site. I then added a couple users (limited to Viewer, Level 2, role) to the group.

When they use the field app on their mobile device and log into Portal, they get the message 'Denied. You do not have sufficient user level to access this application'.

Am I doing something wrong, or do they need a role with higher levels of permission to use the survey? I can port it to AGOL if that's easier. We'd have to purchase a bunch more Level 1 licenses otherwise.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottKiley
Occasional Contributor II

Which version is your Portal at? I'm guessing it's 10.5 or 10.6, because after 10.7 Level 1 and Level 2 users were expanded to more specific users types.

A Level 2 user should have access to the field apps, but a Level 1 user would not. So if you have assigned this user as Level 2, it sounds like you just need to modify their role. Setting their role to a viewer would limit them from editing anything. A user must be able to edit in order to access Survey 1233 and all other Field Apps, except Explorer.

Try setting the user's role to "User." It should provide edit access, but again they have to be a Level 2 user (or at least a Field Worker after Version 10.7). You may want to looking into creating a custom role as well: Levels, roles, and privileges—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ScottKiley

Which version is your Portal at? I'm guessing it's 10.5 or 10.6, because after 10.7 Level 1 and Level 2 users were expanded to more specific users types.

A Level 2 user should have access to the field apps, but a Level 1 user would not. So if you have assigned this user as Level 2, it sounds like you just need to modify their role. Setting their role to a viewer would limit them from editing anything. A user must be able to edit in order to access Survey 1233 and all other Field Apps, except Explorer.

Try setting the user's role to "User." It should provide edit access, but again they have to be a Level 2 user (or at least a Field Worker after Version 10.7). You may want to looking into creating a custom role as well: Levels, roles, and privileges—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Scott. Right now I can only add users as Viewers, not Creators. I'm not an admin, so can't change that. Here's what the Licensing screen shows:

0 Kudos
ScottKiley

You're welcome Greg.

So your Portal must be at least at version 10.7, then? That's how you would be seeing user types Creator, Viewer Etc. It's likely a standard license of ArcGIS Enterprise, which would give a default number of Creators and Viewers. Viewers will not be able able to access field apps, like Survey123. This blog post explains the user types in the simplest terms and provides resources for more details: User Types: Flexible Licensing for ArcGIS Enterprise beginning at 10.7 .

What is your role then? I'm guessing it's a custom role, because there is no default role that allows for limited Admin capabilities. Your admin must've created Role with privileges between a Publisher and Administrator. That being said, I just created a custom role with only the ability to View and add new members (see image below). This allowed me to make a new user a Creator, so you may simply be out of Creator users. You may want to check with your admin about this.

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Thanks again Scott. Not sure what version of Enterprise we're using. The current setup we have is maybe a bit unusual. A couple of the state departments (Michigan) have their own stand alone Portals, while so far the rest of the departments, including mine, currently share one (we may get our own soon). A separate department is the admin for them.

I know I have Creator privileges, and can add users to the Viewer level, but not to the Creator level. We can buy more Creator level licenses, but don't know what kind of budgetary/bureaucratic hoops are required to jump through. Above my pay grade. Guess I'll try AGOL.

0 Kudos