Can't overwrite existing public survey on app via link

06-15-2018 08:28 AM
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

I have several existing surveys that are set to Public for submissions, so that users do not need to sign in to download the survey. Instead, I tell them to visit the survey link in a browser on the device (e.g. arcg.is/xxxx) to access and download the surveys. I have found (on iPhone, iPad, and Android devices) that when I release updated versions of the survey, if the users do not delete the existing copy on their devices, the updated version will not overwrite the older version. So when they go to use the "updated" version, it's actually the same old one. Only by deleting the survey entirely and redownloading it do they get the updates, which also deletes their sent and draft surveys. This is a problem, since most of them want to retain their "Sent" data locally. Is there a setting I have missed, or is this just a function of the public survey option? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. You did not miss anything. Survey links will not download a survey to the device if it is already there.  I totally see the use case you describe. I will add to our backlog. Thanks.

RSchaffner
New Contributor III

Yes, being able to overwrite instead of delete and replace the app would be a very useful feature. Thank you. 

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Any update on ability to overwrite without having users manually delete existing surveys to see updated versions?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

There has not been a change to the functionality as of yet.

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is there any other utility or external process we can develop to perform that delete of the existing survey?

0 Kudos
HowardKalnitz
New Contributor II

I would also add my 2cents to get this updated.

It is easy for me to send out new surveys to non-esri users and they can down load the app and the survey and start submitting data immediately. 

However, when I update the survey (and I had to due to the app updates and bugfixes) and have the users download the update, a signin is needed. This has been very confusing to users as they try any old password to try and get in (thinking they must have used one earlier) and nothing happens. I have even had users try the forgotten password path, but nothing happens there, as they are not esri users, so there is no stored password....

This seems a broken system, and needs an update!

Howard 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi R Schaffner,

Just letting you know we have been working on public survey update notifications in the latest Survey123 RC builds available on the Early Adopter Community (EAC). The new feature will now alert the user in the field app when an updated survey is available. A notification banner will be displayed at the top of the gallery page, as well as a new update surveys page to bulk download updated surveys and the user will also be alerted when trying to open a survey that has an update. This enables the user to do an update of the survey before proceeding to collect a new survey record.

Please test out the latest 3.9 RC2 builds and provide any feedback via the EAC user forums for this new feature. You can find the 3.9 RC2 announcement with details on EAC.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

That's great to hear! I will test it out ASAP. Thanks.