Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I join data into Survey123?

08-06-2024 02:10 PM
mcbeth99
Occasional Contributor

Hopefully this is clear and makes sense.

I have a survey I created in Connect and published.  Approximately 3000 records were collected with photos. At the end of the survey I exported the data as I needed it in a spreadsheet to add some additional data. One of the fields that was added was a unique number for each entry.

I am wondering if there is a way to get that unique number into Survey123 so I can create a form (basically photo pages) which includes that number along with the photos.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

You should be able to just work with the collected data via the hosted feature layer. I'm not sure what you could base the join on (FID/OID/GUID) but from there you could get the unique ID field you added in the spreadsheet of you can establish the relationship. I Don't quite understand adding the unique ID outside of the HFL but I may be misinterpreting things.

From there I believe the new Export Attachments GP Tool (3.3.x) or creating a Report with the photos/attachments would do what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I haven't tested this, but I'd give Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation a shot? Not sure if it works on feature services.

The bigger question is whether the Report designer will take the field happily or not.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

I don't see why they can't just add a new field at the HFL level, make a join, and yard over the values from th external spreadsheet and then just proceed with developing a Report or the Export Attachments GP tool...but I'm making some interpretations based on what the OP provided.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would add a placeholder field in the form first.  Then use ArcGIS for Excel to view the service in Excel.  There you can add values to the placeholder field that will update the hosted service and be available for the report.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

@mcbeth99  did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
mcbeth99
Occasional Contributor

@ZacharyHart thanks for checking in. Adding the unique identified after the fact is because the client uses their own numbering system for the records, we don't get them until the work is done as they want to know how many numbers we need.

I ended up using my old school way of doing this with Word mail merge. 

The Export Attachments GP Tool (3.3.x) or creating a Report with the photos/attachments you mentioned, is that done from Pro?

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

I ended up using my old school way of doing this with Word mail merge. 

Clever!

yes, those tools are in Pro. We've found reporting a bit clunky, but it would get the job done. If you are doing this process often could be worth exploring.

0 Kudos