Calculate field not working properly after saving a draft

07-13-2018 08:55 AM
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

This may be a new issue in the latest version of Survey123 (3.0.132) because I didn't notice it prior to the week of July 1. I have 4 groups of select_one questions that culminate in a calculated field (sum of the integers from the select_one answers) that is also set to read only. If the survey is started and completed in one attempt, everything works fine. However, it's a long survey, so inspectors often need to save drafts and return later. After reopening the survey, they find one of two things: 1) The select_one answers in each section no longer appear filled in, although the summed field still displays the correct number. 2) Upon starting a new section of select_one questions, the calculate field for that section does not update properly. 

I can remove the read-only option from the calculated fields, but the user is then required to press the refresh icon next to the calculated fields to make them update, and I worry that they will forget to do this, resulting in numerous errors in the data. 

Is there a setting I can adjust to make these fields autocalculate in all situations? I am attaching a truncated version of the survey .xls. The calculated fields are highlighted in yellow. 

0 Kudos
36 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

We have made a change to the way that the inbox and drafts do calculations, as a result of user feedback and bugs raised. Essentially, users were unhappy about the fact that when a survey was loaded/opened, calculations would fire and values would be overridden - even if the user had manually typed something in. To make the behavior more predictable, on load from the Inbox or Drafts, the survey values will match whatever was entered in the form when it was submitted/saved - i.e. no calculations will run. 

However, when you update the values in the form - calculations should be triggered if they reference another question that has changed. This looks to be a bug and we will get this looked at. For the time being, the user will need to manually recalculate if working from drafts/the inbox.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
OlivierDemars1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I noticed a similar issues and, after doing some testing, I found out that the behavior is different for a text field and for integer, decimal and date fields.

Using the attached Survey123,  I open it and save it directly as draft without entering any data.

After opening the data and entering information in the 4 fields (text, integer, decimal and date), only the read only text field is updated. The read only integer, decimal and date fields are not updated.

Best,

Olivier

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback - we will look at this when we fix this

0 Kudos
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

I just found out from people using a different survey that Calculate is also not working on both a select_one and a text field within a repeat group after saving a draft. Data was saved for other text and select_one fields within the repeated  group, and the only difference is that the questions that failed to save are "relevant" based on another field. This is a big problem, as people in the field lost data this weekend. How long before this is fixed, or is there a way to revert to the earlier Survey123 version on mobile devices? 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi - What platform are you using for the field devices?

0 Kudos
OlivierDemars1
New Contributor III

Hi, we had to stop all our Inbox based form activities due to the issues on calculate. Our users are all on Android.

0 Kudos
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

Both MacOS and Android, most people seem to have the latest versions.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi 

You can get your users to download version 2.9 of the app from here: Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

This will have the same functionality as 2.8 so you can continue using this while we fix this in 3.0.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
RSchaffner
New Contributor III

But those downloads of 2.9 are not available for iOS, correct? 

0 Kudos