Bug? Nested Repeat Not Recording Data

07-11-2019 01:57 PM
BryceHancock
Occasional Contributor

I have a complex form with nested repeats. I am experiencing issues with the nested repeats not recording data. When the user enters data into the repeat and then tries to enter another record, the required alert appears in the populated field and the user cannot move to populate another repeat. I removed the required setting and republished the form thinking there might be a bug with the required setting, but now when the user enters data into the repeat and scrolls back to review, the data is missing. To complicate matters, the issue seems to occur intermittently. To confirm that the data was not recording, I uploaded it to AGOL and am missing many records in the repeats. I am using the latest version of Survey123 for Android and my Android OS is 6.0. Any ideas? My xls folder is attached below. Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the survey, I will look into this issue with nested repeats and your survey and get back to you soon.

Phil.

0 Kudos
BryceHancock
Occasional Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Bryce, Phil has asked me to take a look at this.

Does the XLSForm you supplied have the required settings removed? I’d like to address that original case if possible (where you thought there might be a bug with the required setting), rather than you needing to implement a workaround. Can you provide a copy of this XLSForm? I’ll assume this is the workaround survey as I’m not able to replicate the problem (perhaps due to it being intermittent).  

I’ve been testing on a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android 6.0 with Survey123 v3.5.164. I’m just populating data at random in all nested repeats, is there a particular workflow I should be testing? What device are you using? And just to confirm, you’re also running v3.5.164 of Survey123?

Thanks,

Brett

0 Kudos
BryceHancock
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brett, I had the repeat count set to 8 for the ground cover and the ground cover field set to required when the error occurred. When the user would enter a ground cover record, then attempt to enter another ground cover record, the required alert would appear even though the field was populated, and they could not add another record. I removed the repeat count and the issue has resolved. I had the same issue occur on another form with repeat counts set. I removed all the repeat counts and the issues seem to be resolved. I am using Survey123 version 3.5.164 on a Juniper CT7G with Android version 6. Thanks

0 Kudos
BryceHancock
Occasional Contributor

I no longer have the original version with the error. I think if you just set the repeat count for the ground cover, with the GRND_CVR field set to required, you can reproduce the error.

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Bryce,

OK – I’ve set the GRND_CVR field to be required (the repeat count for GROUNDCOVER was already set to 8). I am still not able to reproduce this issue. I get the expected behaviour when trying to advance through the Ground Cover repeat, ie each Ground Cover type is highlighted as required and each of the 8 repeat records are highlighted as required as I step through.

Can you please confirm that you’re only seeing this behaviour on your Juniper devices? What do you see in in Connect or field app on your desktop / phone etc? I’m beginning to think this may be device related.

Brett

0 Kudos
NACAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Bryce & Brett,

Have either of you found a solution/workaround for this problem? 

I am having a similar issue as Bryce and haven't found a fix. I am finding that the count for my nested repeat continues from previous repeats, and if I hit the left arrow to scroll back and review the data, there are blank records. What I am finding is that the data isn't actually missing-- since if you scroll through the parent repeats there are still entries-- but for some reason, a bunch of blank entries are being transferred to the nested repeat. What's more perplexing is that when I submit the survey, there are no blank records-- so it seems that they only exist as a bug in the survey -- but it makes reviewing the data in Survey123 nearly impossible. 

Any insights would be much appreciated. 

Currently using Survey123 version 3.7.56 and Survey123 Connect version 3.7.60

Thanks.

Crystal

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Crystal,

Could you share your form? 

NACAdmin
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply -- see the survey as attached. 

You should run into the issue if you use Survey123 for Desktop (Windows). I tried the survey on an iPhone and didn't run into the issue. Under the "Observation Point Species Data" section, as you add new observation points with species-- the count of species for the subsequent observation points appears to continue from the previous one, but when you try to review using the left arrow within the repeat, the records are blank.

Would be so great to figure a way around this, the primary way I'd like users to interact with the survey is via the desktop app, but this is throwing a major monkey wrench in the plan since it will make it really hard for them to review their data once entered. 

Thanks again!

Crystal

0 Kudos