Bug. Cannot open surveys in Field App on PC

Jump to solution
07-28-2022 11:54 AM
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Looks like the website was updated recently. I can no longer open surveys in the Field App via the provided URLs:

abureaux_0-1659034233332.png

Clicking on a URL forwards to this page now:

abureaux_1-1659034266328.png

This is pretty serious for my environment, so I thought that it would be prudent to speak with Esri ASAP. A case has been opened and is currently being looked at, so if this is a bug, it should hopefully be escalated quickly.

Are others experiencing this? (I'm using Enterprise)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

The BUG-000151242 is now closed:

Public Explanation: This is an intended change with the ArcGIS Survey123 3.15 July update where the Survey123 website now generates Survey123 links where previously it used the custom URL scheme. The reason for this change is to provide a better user experience when linking to the ArcGIS Survey123 mobile application. If someone links to ArcGIS Survey123 using a Survey123 link and they do not have ArcGIS Survey123 installed they are directed to install it where the custom URL scheme would provide an error.

The documentation is to be updated to reflect this change.

They have opened up an enhancement in its place:

• ENH-000151516 - Ability to generate Survey123 share URLs that are supported for the Survey123 Windows field app

So until this is released, PC link will not work. For those interested, this enhancement has been escalated, and my account manager is also involved now.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlisaSposato
New Contributor II

Yes! Started 2 days ago I believe. This is affecting hundreds of users for our projects. I was hoping it would solve itself within a day, but apparently not. This is a major bug!!!

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I will add this just in case it helps some people: You can manually paste the URL (the one that opens in the app directly) into the search bar in the Survey123 Field app to load a form.

This isn't a reasonable solution for my environment, but may be useful as a small-scale/temporary fix.

RSchaffner
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue, and it is a huge problem because I have several public apps with at least 1 or 2 new users trying to start using the app every day. 

0 Kudos
RalphBeishline
New Contributor III

Experiencing the same issue. Thank you for the workaround search option.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

For those looking to follow this:

• BUG-000151242 - Unable to launch survey123 field app from survey123 website 

Plus a second work-around:

EDIT:

Just wanted to add this to help give context why the above work-around it's a good solution for everyone. The real issue is how you are delivering links to users. I have links stored in SharePoint and in custom QR codes. In both cases, Esri's custom URI (arcgis-surveys123) is not recognized by these applications. If it doesn't start with HTTP/HTTPS, then it isn't considered a link and thus won't work. See below from SharePoint:

abureaux_0-1660576992676.png

RSchaffner
New Contributor III

Thanks for posting the BUG ID, but do you have a direct link to the status page for it? There does not appear to be a way to search for a particular bug (unless it's older, then  Google sometimes comes up with a link. 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm not sure how to link to a bug page specifically. But you can have Esri attach a BUG ID to your my.esri profile to track its progress though.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

The BUG-000151242 is now closed:

Public Explanation: This is an intended change with the ArcGIS Survey123 3.15 July update where the Survey123 website now generates Survey123 links where previously it used the custom URL scheme. The reason for this change is to provide a better user experience when linking to the ArcGIS Survey123 mobile application. If someone links to ArcGIS Survey123 using a Survey123 link and they do not have ArcGIS Survey123 installed they are directed to install it where the custom URL scheme would provide an error.

The documentation is to be updated to reflect this change.

They have opened up an enhancement in its place:

• ENH-000151516 - Ability to generate Survey123 share URLs that are supported for the Survey123 Windows field app

So until this is released, PC link will not work. For those interested, this enhancement has been escalated, and my account manager is also involved now.

RalphBeishline
New Contributor III

Yikes! That seems horribly inconvenient for any workflows with the desktop application.

I've had to send out notice of your workaround of entering the URL in the survey search bar to my respondents for those who are unable to access via the direct application call format

arcgis-survey123:///?itemID= 

0 Kudos