Barcode/ QR code to populate field in Survey123

Jump to solution
04-12-2021 01:42 PM
AndrewSD
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have 100 assets and I have created a survey for field crews to have a proof of work. I was wondering if it possible to have a QR code on each asset and when a user scans it will auto fill the asset ID. I have tried to find more info on this but haven't found as much. I am using Survey123 connect and am not sure the correct steps for implementing this. Is there a way to create QR codes for each asset?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AndrewSD,

Yes, Survey123 field app can read barcodes of many types, including QR codes. Survey123 does not create the barcodes, you will need to use a barcode creating software/app to do that, but once you have the barcodes created you can use Survey123 to scan the barcode and read the values from the barcode (such as Asset ID) into a text field in the survey. You can actually pull out several bits of information from the barcode, not just one value, and then populate many fields if you have all the data you need in the barcode.

Refer to this great blog for more information: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/understanding-barcode-questions-in-survey123-for...

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AndrewSD,

Yes, Survey123 field app can read barcodes of many types, including QR codes. Survey123 does not create the barcodes, you will need to use a barcode creating software/app to do that, but once you have the barcodes created you can use Survey123 to scan the barcode and read the values from the barcode (such as Asset ID) into a text field in the survey. You can actually pull out several bits of information from the barcode, not just one value, and then populate many fields if you have all the data you need in the barcode.

Refer to this great blog for more information: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/understanding-barcode-questions-in-survey123-for...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
AndrewSD
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Thank you! I think that was the piece I was missing, wondering how the barcode was created. Seems straight forward now.

Thank you,

Andrew

RobertGeitner
New Contributor III

Hi,

I wanted to create 1000's of QR code tags to place around multiple tree plantings.   Using a qr code generator, could I create 1000's of qr codes based off a CSV table of maybe 4 attributes, i.e. Tree Type, Soil, Management Type, Date Planted?  Then somehow link all of those trees to autopopulate fields in Survey123? I read Ismael's blog, but that part didn't really get highlighted... Do you know off any current workflows that I could replicate? 

0 Kudos
MeganHaleGIS
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I am looking at doing something very similar for our trees.  Did you manage to get the barcodes to work? How did your project turn out? 

0 Kudos