Select to view content in your preferred language

Attaching Images on iOS Field App Issue

Jump to solution
03-21-2024 12:22 PM
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I've started encountering an issue with the Survey123 Field App on iOS devices where some photos are not attaching when selected from the device. I can't figure out the commonality preventing this, photos taken with the camera I'm thinking it's because of the image type HEIF (these are 2.7MB) but then I have some screenshots on the device that are stored as PNG not attaching either. For the screenshots the ones that are attaching are large at around 16MB, but the one's that won't are 1.2MB so it doesn't seem to be size related. And they're both 2360x1640 pixels in dimensions.

I'm on version 3.19.114 on iOS, and this has occurred on multiple devices (iPad and iPhone). 

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Figured it out.

Survey123 only had permissions to Selected Photos instead of All Photos so you had to first select which photos to give the app access to, and THEN select which photos to attach (weird to me that the select to attach screen shows ALL the photos even if it doesn't have access to them though). So it's a double selection process, or go into the app settings and give Survey123 permission to All Photos and it removes this roadblock.

So that one's on me for not being familiar enough with iOS things to recognize it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you set the images size to Unrestricted in the Options tab of Connect?

DougBrowning_0-1711049320392.png

Also we set iOS to Most compatible otherwise it is stripping the Exif info on us.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Any chance you can update to 3.19.121 and check if the issue persists?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you both, but I've tried updating the app to 3.19.121 and had no luck solving the issue @ChristopherCounsell 

And @DougBrowning I updated the setting to Unrestricted and it also doesn't seem to help (And my understanding of this is it shrinks the image uploaded to that size, not that it limits what image can be selected though?)

And changing to most compatible is definitely a setting I like because the HEIF are odd to say the least, but even images I look with the camera with that setting changed don't want to show up as added to the image question.

The iPad I have to test on is an iPad Air 4th Generation, iOS 15.6.1 if that makes any difference.

I also have no issues attaching any images from my Android so it seems like the survey settings are fine.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Figured it out.

Survey123 only had permissions to Selected Photos instead of All Photos so you had to first select which photos to give the app access to, and THEN select which photos to attach (weird to me that the select to attach screen shows ALL the photos even if it doesn't have access to them though). So it's a double selection process, or go into the app settings and give Survey123 permission to All Photos and it removes this roadblock.

So that one's on me for not being familiar enough with iOS things to recognize it.