Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow non-Creator UserTypes to Submit Surveys to Esri Portal (on-prem) where public (anonymous sharing) is not allowed.

04-13-2023 10:49 AM
JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Currently, Portal (Enterprise) members who are assigned the Viewer User type cannot Submit Surveys published from Survey123 when the sharing to public (anonymous sharing) is not allowed.  Please allow Surveys Shared to the Organization to be submitted by members of the Viewer User Type.

2 Comments
jcarlson

This is by design, and I think it's unlikely you'll see this change. Having secured editing access to feature layers is the purpose of Editor / Field Worker user types.

If adding additional user types to your Portal is not an option due to cost, consider using usernames or other metadata to filter out invalid submissions and use a publicly shared service.

JTessier

Thanks for the input JCarlson.  I would have to argue that Esri is mis-marketing Survey123 then as the marketing materials https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-survey123/overview seem to indicate that a non-gis person would be able to enter data, and that editor and fieldworker types (who would typically have more training (and be more likely geared towards ArcGIS Fieldmaps) would not be required.  "In any environment and with minimal training, use the Survey123 web app and mobile app to record survey answers" and "Flexible for various scenarios: When a project must start quickly, create a survey rapidly to start collecting data."

I think esri could easily expand the Viewer role to allow for survey submittals from Viewers in Private ArcGIS Enterprise Portal Surveys that are shared to the organization.   Viewers can already do it if the portal allows anonymous access.  Other licenses require additional justification and training - with more power comes more responsibility.