Trouble attaching images using features to create a map tour story map

Jump to solution
04-02-2022 04:25 PM
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to create a story map using the data-driven method described in Cooper Thomas' blog https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/53d9d11a512042e7be18a2a32c981570 In step 4 the instructions say: "The map tour builder will automatically determine the point's location, and use any attached images as the place's media."  I have tried several methods to attach the images to the point feature, including uploading the image to AGOL, sharing publicly and then copying the URL.  I need some more explanation please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BrianHovis - If you need to include video media in a tour, the only choice right now is to build your tour in the story builder. The option to use video is not currently supported for tours powered by a feature layer.

If you have a web map, you can sometimes reuse one of those layers to create a map tour, but the layer has to meet a few requirements, the mains ones are that it has to be a point feature layer with images stored as attachments.

If you are looking for more of an app-based way to share your tree locations (as opposed to a tour that lives inside a longer story), you may also way to check out the Attachment Viewer instant app. I believe that supports video.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BrianHovis -- The workflow for creating a data-driven tour is most useful when you already have a feature layer generated by another ArcGIS app (like Survey123, Field Maps, QuickCapture, etc.). Can I ask why you are looking to create a feature layer from scratch rather than building your tour directly in the story builder?

Information about working with feature layers and attachments can be found in this ArcGIS Online help topic. Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation.

Owen Evans
BrianHovis

Thank you  Owen for the response.  I may have misunderstood the blog and am new to the new story maps.  I am more familiar with the classic story maps.  I am trying to create an explorer tour of some trees nearby.  I would like to have one or two images, plus a video description be part of the media associated with each point.  I already had the points in an AGOL web map and was trying to use that map to populate the points on the story map, rather than trying to add the points as I develop the story map.  I thought that was the choice.  Thanks about attaching media and I will see if that helps.  I guess my question is, what is the best way to create a story map tour using points from an AGOL web map and be able to display multi-media?  Thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BrianHovis - If you need to include video media in a tour, the only choice right now is to build your tour in the story builder. The option to use video is not currently supported for tours powered by a feature layer.

If you have a web map, you can sometimes reuse one of those layers to create a map tour, but the layer has to meet a few requirements, the mains ones are that it has to be a point feature layer with images stored as attachments.

If you are looking for more of an app-based way to share your tree locations (as opposed to a tour that lives inside a longer story), you may also way to check out the Attachment Viewer instant app. I believe that supports video.

Owen Evans
BrianHovis

@OwenGeo Thanks very much for your help and clarification of the situation.  Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

No problem! Be sure to post here if you have more questions as you get to know ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Looks like you've discovered at least one of our tutorials, but be sure to check out the rest here: https://arcg.is/14qP08 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos